What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

27 x 155 experimental navy case

SG500

Premium Member
I got this recently from a very reputable source.
Its a 27 x 155 experimental navy case.
That's all I know about it.
Does anyone have any further information?
Its obviously a variation on the 27 x 145 (shown next to it for scale).
Thanks.
Dave.
ALL INERT

27 x 155 expt Navy case 001.jpg27 x 155 expt Navy case 002.jpg27 x 155 expt Navy case 003.jpg27 x 155 expt Navy case 004.jpg

Maybe something related to a special projectile?
Just thinking out loud here, did they ever make an APFSDS or apds for this case - I realise it wouldn't have been fired from an aircraft for obvious reasons, perhaps for another use?
The 25mm KBB for example has a longer case for the apds.
Dave.

Dave, there is an FAPDS for the use in the German Navy 27mm CIWS "MLG-27" (MLG = Marineleichtgeschtz = Light Naval Gun):
http://www.bluesniper.de/galerie/ma...7-mm/marine-leichtgeschuetz-mlg-27-mm-002.jpg

There was also a quadruple mount named MIDAS / AMS-4-27 / DRAKON but I have no info if it got adopted somewhere. All 4 barrels made up for 7200 rounds/min:
http://www.die-marine.de/_deutsch/ciws/image/Drakon.jpg

The cartridge for these weapons is the FAPDS DM63 (officially adopted) but it has the standard 145mm case.

Hard to say what your case was made for in detail.

Last edited:
Thanks, its starting to make a little more sense now. The person I got it from said it was a "27mm Navy case" which ties in well with the links you posted above. Mmmmmmmm I must do some more research.
Dave.

The Mauser Drakon 4-bbl CIWS wasn't adopted by anyone. The German Navy selected the RAM missile system instead, and subsequently bought the MLG 27 with a single BK 27 for less demanding tasks.

I am fairly sure that the Drakon fired APFSDS. I have an example of such a projectile, still in its sabot. I have no idea whether or not it used a different case length, but it could well have done.

The Mauser Drakon 4-bbl CIWS wasn't adopted by anyone. The German Navy selected the RAM missile system instead, and subsequently bought the MLG 27 with a single BK 27 for less demanding tasks.

I am fairly sure that the Drakon fired APFSDS. I have an example of such a projectile, still in its sabot. I have no idea whether or not it used a different case length, but it could well have done.

Thanks Tony, any chance of you posting a photo of your 27mm apfsds please, it sounds great!

Dave.

Here you are - the top two are 25mm, the 27mm is at the bottom. Very short and sturdy!

P1030451w.jpg

OH!! Mmmmmmmm..........:smile:
Lovely projectiles especially that 27mm, thanks for showing them.
Attached are a few odd ones including a 27mm APFSDS, any ideas?
They show a 27 x 150 prac, a 27 x 173 apfsds and a 25 x 137 prac. All with combustible or semi combustible cases.
Dave.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 016.jpg