What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 x 139/RR .90" T2 exp.

SG500

Premium Member
Attached are a few photos of a reasonably common .90 inch experimental T4 next to the less common T2 with the rebated rim.
There are no stampings on the case but the projectile says "Cal 90 T1 EDB LOT 575-1-F.A. The projectile isn't crimped into the T2.
The T4 does have a crimped in projectile which has similar stamping including "T1".

Does anyone have any more information on the weapon used or variations of projectile? I understand the development of these rounds was in the 1940's.

All INERT etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 29 July 2011 001.jpg
    29 July 2011 001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 138
  • 29 July 2011 002.jpg
    29 July 2011 002.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 29 July 2011 003.jpg
    29 July 2011 003.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 95
Hi. My T-2 case is stamped CAL .90 T2E 37 ord. mark FA
rim dia 29mm same as base dia Pri dia 7mm 3 stap crimp.
What is your rim dia.?
FRANK.

Hi. My T-2 case is stamped CAL .90 T2E 37 ord. mark FA
rim dia 29mm same as base dia Pri dia 7mm 3 stap crimp.
What is your rim dia.?
FRANK.
Hi Frank any chance of a photo please?
The rim on the one I have is about 24.5mm (measured with a ruler so not accurate) so I assume its a standard T2.
From the cartridge list I have the following information is given:
.90" T2 rim 24.4
.90" T2E1 rim 29mm (possibly the type you have?)
.90" T2E2 rim 30.7
Dave.

Hi. Dave, I am a long time collector ,first large case in 1952. but a new boy to the net.
Will try and get some help with the photos,may take a few days. Also have notes on a
T-3 90 CAL 23X139SR30.8 same rim as the T-4 case
FRANK

My notes on the ammo are as follows:

The 23x139SR was only used in the final, T4, design. The T2 used a cartridge which appears to be identical to the T4's, except that the rim is considerably rebated. The T3 round is similar to the T2 and may be the same (judging by a photograph). The T1 round is very different: a shortened and necked-down version of the 1.1" naval gun round (28x199SR). Case length appears to be about 150mm.

I understand that the .90 inch guns were initially intended for aircraft use, but the designs (long recoil or blowback) were too heavy and slow firing. Other uses for them were therefore proposed, but they were never accepted.

My notes on the ammo are as follows:

The 23x139SR was only used in the final, T4, design. The T2 used a cartridge which appears to be identical to the T4's, except that the rim is considerably rebated. The T3 round is similar to the T2 and may be the same (judging by a photograph). The T1 round is very different: a shortened and necked-down version of the 1.1" naval gun round (28x199SR). Case length appears to be about 150mm.

I understand that the .90 inch guns were initially intended for aircraft use, but the designs (long recoil or blowback) were too heavy and slow firing. Other uses for them were therefore proposed, but they were never accepted.

Thanks Tony.
So the T2 of mine corresponds with your notes, being a rebated rim.
Do your notes mention the T2 E1 and T2E2? Interesting that Franks case has the larger 29mm rim and is stamped as T2 so possibly the E1 version.
Dave.

cal 90.jpg. cal 90 hs.jpg

My early drawings seem to be all over the place. I have pictured the four cal. .90 rounds I have. The T2 round is a high pressure test loading. Next to it is a standard T3. The T3 next to it however is another high pressure test, but the case accepts a large screw-in primer that unfortunately did not come with the round. The headstamp on that is hard to read, but it it CAL .90 T3 2536-FA I EDB, which is the same as the other T3 to its left. The last round is the more common T4 with the typical case stenciling. I do not have a lot of information on the various rounds.
Bob

I managed to complete the set recently: see the T1, T2, T3 and T4 in that order, all headstamped appropriately. As far as I can see, there is no difference in case shape between the T3 and T4, apart from the headstamps the only difference I can see is that the primers look different - the T3 has what looks like an inner insulating ring, suggesting electric priming.

I am working on an article for the ECRA bulletin on the guns and ammo - any info welcomed!

Cal.90%20T%20series%20copy.jpg

Very nice Tony, good finds.
Could you post photographs of the headstamps please.
Thanks.
Dave.

I found this image some time ago in the web. Maybe it is of interest to someone:

Attachments

• 23mm_.90_Colt_USA.jpg
    23mm_.90_Colt_USA.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21