What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 German Gains

Rockteer

Hi,

Can anyone help, I have a few German gain pots but I am wondering on the gains themselves, do they exist in an inert form?? is it possible to obtain these? working towards a cut away and really need something to fill the gain pot.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Dan,
Do you mean the empty gaine like the one i traded you with the rest of the kit?
I would use skimming-plaster to fill the pot to represent explosive and then section it.

best

waff

Hi,

Can anyone help, I have a few German gain pots but I am wondering on the gains themselves, do they exist in an inert form?? is it possible to obtain these? working towards a cut away and really need something to fill the gain pot.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Hi, I only know about SD2 gains, the bakelite gain pots are out there although I always find I don't have enough of them, the little metal pot that goes inside the gain pot seems to be extremely difficult to find, I've attached a photograph of the sectioned one I have, its the only one I've ever managed to find.

All INERT.

Dave,

Attachments

• SD2 gain.jpg
    SD2 gain.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 94
Waff, I mean the silver cylindrical "pellets" is the only way I can describe them, I have never seen one in the flesh so not sure what size they are. you can see one in the sectioned photo of the thread titled Type (17) i a SC50kg. It goes inside the metal gain you gave me at Beltring. Thank you by the way.

Is it possible to find them, and are they inert, as I really don't know, I just remember seeing "Danger UXB" where they handled them with extreme care.

Here's my example of the SD2 Gain pot, there was some times a small piece of paper between the pot and gain to hold in place...... Dave

HPIM6298.jpg HPIM6299.jpg HPIM6300.jpg HPIM6301.jpg

Here's my example of the SD2 Gain pot, there was some times a small piece of paper between the pot and gain to hold in place...... Dave

WOW !!!! .............Very nice Dave, where do I get some????

regards Kev

View attachment 56920 View attachment 56921 View attachment 56922 View attachment 56923

Very very nice!
Dave, its only when I looked at your photos I even realised there is a metal sleeve inside the sectioned gain pot I have. Thanks.
Presumably this is for the HE SD2. The gain pots for the "smoke" ones definitly don't have the metal insert, they have a compressed chrystaline purple/red filling inside them.
Dave.

The SD2 gains, lets say gains rather than gain pot can be found as thy are used in other pieces, e,g Panzerfaust some where inside and some artillary fuses, im not sure what else there in, some one who deactifies German items might know, i also think the ally gain outer was the outer casting of the Buck igniter for the pot mines. Dave
[h=1][/h]

The SD2 gains, lets say gains rather than gain pot can be found as thy are used in other pieces, e,g Panzerfaust some where inside and some artillary fuses, im not sure what else there in, some one who deactifies German items might know, i also think the ally gain outer was the outer casting of the Buck igniter for the pot mines. Dave

Thanks Dave for that information. So maybe someone out there can source some inert examples of these??

kind regards Kev

I make the normal German bomb fuze metal gain but i am also looking for the bakalite SD2 gain pot so i can copy some replicas. Anyone have one for sale.

I make the normal German bomb fuze metal gain but i am also looking for the bakalite SD2 gain pot so i can copy some replicas. Anyone have one for sale.

I can lend you one Chris when i get my finger out and post you a standard one for cutting.... ;)

best

waff

Hi Mate, i was a bit worried that you posted it and it got lost, thats all, let me know when you do, you have my number. As for gains i would like to purchase one if posible for fear of breaking it.