What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old manlicher rifle id if possable .

Darrol

Premium Member
ive had this rifle for a while now and im still not sure what model it is. ive looked threw more books than a little and looked on the web but i cant seem to find the same one.
IMG20110824_011.jpgIMG20110824_012.jpgIMG20110824_013.jpgIMG20110824_014.jpgIMG20110824_015.jpg
any info would be great.thank you
Darrol.

Hi,my reference book just says it is a model 1904 Steyr and is probably in 8x57mm caliber,the book mentions the bayonet lug on the right side of the nose cap where yours is shown..HTH..Pete

Hi and thanks . .ive just done another search with the mod 04 (thanks) and i think it was what they called the irish mannicher after it was sold to the protistant militia by the germans during ww1.i think one of the reasons i couldnt find it was i think it has the bolt of a carbine. This was a woodworm riddled piece of rust when i first got it. .i think il have another go at it and see if i can make the stock a bit neater .:) Thanks again.Darrol.

hi falcon. yes it is steyr 04.jpg need to get a repacement certificate for it .
Darrol.

Hi and thanks . .ive just done another search with the mod 04 (thanks) and i think it was what they called the irish mannicher after it was sold to the protistant militia by the germans during ww1.i think one of the reasons i couldnt find it was i think it has the bolt of a carbine. This was a woodworm riddled piece of rust when i first got it. .i think il have another go at it and see if i can make the stock a bit neater .:) Thanks again.Darrol.

That would add up as the Irish Mannlicher bayonet was made by Steyr (Austria) also

Tony

hi tony.yes they were supplied with bayonets for each rifle but non of the numbers were matching.
Darrol.

IMG20110903_004.jpgIMG20110903_003.jpgIMG20110903_005.jpgIMG20110903_006.jpg
just finished giving the rifle a bit of a restoration.another piece of history saved from woodworm and rust.:)

Thanks tony:)It turned out better than i expected ..it was in a very poor state when i first got it.Cheers.Darrol.

Maybe the bolt handle has been just bent down, can it be straightened. I think they had the Red hand of Uster stamped on the buttstock too if I recall correctly. Used a standard Mannlecher 5 round clip with pre S round 8mm nosed bullets. If it was working might not be safe with modern ammo.

Hi .the bolt was manufactured with i bent down bolt handle . . So i can imagine it was originaly for the carbine but has been on this rifle for decades.not all the stocks where stamped with the ulster hand mark and any marks (if any) are long gone .Cheers.Darrol.