What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 shotshell

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
I have found a few rounds today with a small plastic domed bullet with small shot inside them they are .303 cases I will phot them tomorrow any idea's.

Headstamp is 303 MK8Z nny-81

Richard.

I'm not sure about this so don't bet your life on it.

At one time you could own converted smooth bore .303 Lee Enfields on a Shotgun Cert. Some were converted to .410 and some left as .303, the .303 "shotgun" rds were for use in the .303 smooth bore.

I would think that it would still be possible to own a converted Lee Enfield now as long as the magazine was spot welded in place and had a pin across it to restrict it to two rounds. Or it was simply single shot with a steel plate welded into the magazine well.

Yes, you can still have a .303 on a shot gun ticket , as long as the mag is restricted to 2 rounds and welded in place.
Hangarman

These are not .410 shotshells they are .303 cartridges with a small plastic domed bullet case with shot inside I get the camera back tomorrow I will take photo's

Richard.

I am not denying that the cartridges you have are .303 shotshells, I believe you, but it is possible to own a .303 smooth bore that is technically a shotgun, but not a .410, the barrel just has the rifling reamed out to make the bore smooth.
Hangarman

nny is the headstamp for the Commercial producer Prvi Partizn. While they do sell commercial or sporting loads and components (they are marketed here in Australia as "Highland" brand),they also make military loads in .303 as Mk7z, Mk8z and blank. I have used both thier commercial line 174gr FMJ and their Mk8z in Service Rifle shoots and it seems to be consistantly accurate and fairly priced ammo.

They do not make .303 shot in either their commercial or military lines, so this is reloaded ammunition using Prvi Partisan cases.

Spotter, Yes I agree it must be one of these as this is a new un-fired case all the primer and primer seal colour is intact so it is as you say the reworked privi round.

Cheers
Richard.

I remember reading that in the 1980s that company R.I.F.L.E. used to sell pistols with the rifling reamed out and a steel tube welded to the barrel to make them legally a shotgun. Apparently the pistol that was used to kill Jill Dando was a smoothbored .380 automatic and could well have been one of theirs. The story goes that they were closed down as they supplied parts to the protestant militias in NI to re-activate de-ac Kalashnikov rifles.