What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.280 uk?

jonnyc

Two otherwise identical .280 UK Observation rounds; GMCS, brass case and primer, ring crimp, purple annulus, (RG 48 .280). Is there any reason for the significant difference in the tip color application?

280-1.jpg

I also posted this on the IAA Forum. I got an answer there from Tony, but I thought to post it here also, for info, and just in case there's a hidden expert with secret knowledge.

I had these all together for another purpose, but I thought a group pic might be interesting.

my280s001.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you posting here.....I'm looking for real experts!

You may be ahead now, but one day I will get a .270 or two, and track down that blue-cased one I actually had my hands on.;)

Oh, blue ones? Why didn't you say?

Like this you mean?

You know what an expert is don't you Jonny? A "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure!

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 110
Who's showing off now?:xd: very nice TonyE.

Anyway the reason for the different applications of red paint is because the guy sneezed while dipping it in the paint pot:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
Hi, I must say It's great to see such a variety of these rounds. I have had an interest in the sorry Saga of the EM2 ever since I aquired an inert .280/30 (RG 49 289/30) Pink Tip, 25 odd years ago. I would like to ask, what were the U.K packaging of these rounds? i.e Were they supplied in packets of 20, chargers, or bandoliers? What did the boxes look like? I am also curious as to the volume made of the various rounds, is there a figure? I think I had read that only 140? EM2 rifles were ever made and that some FN FAL's were chambered in .280/30 also. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Two types of UK packaging was used. Most of the ball rounds, whether pink tipped or otherwise seem to have been in twenty round packages in two rows of ten. The special purpose loads were in 25 rounds boxes which were about the size of a Rubik's cube. Some of the development ammo was in 50 round plain cardboard boxes with handwritten labels and I have attached pictures of some I have.

I have found no records for the number of rounds produced, but it was quite high for the most commonly encountered types, the pink and brown tipped rounds.

The production figures for the EM-2 were:

.280 inch - 19 made by RSAF Enfield, 1 made by Chambrons, Hammersmith
7mm HV - 4 made by Chambrons
7.62 x 51mm - 10 made by BSA
7.62 x 51mm - 15 made by RSAF Enfield
7 x 51mm Compromise - 10 made by Canadian Arsenals Ltd

Total 59

Of these, RSAF Serial numbers 10 and 12 were later converted in 1970 to 6.25x45mm for trials work and Chambrons Serial HV-1 was converted in 1953 to .30-06 calibre, but this was pushing the inherent strength of a weapon designed to fire an intermediate round one step too far.

The prototypes of the FN FAL were chambered in a number of calibres, including 7.92x33mm Kurz and the British .280 inch. Development of the ammunition was a joint project with FN who called it the 7mm. The final piture is a contemporary Enfield picture of the EM-2 and FN rifles.

Regrettably, I have not fired one in the original .280 inch calibre, but I have fired the 7.62x51mm and the 7x51mm versions.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 7mm 1z.jpg
    7mm 1z.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 280 alloy.jpg
    280 alloy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 280 API.jpg
    280 API.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 280 Observing.jpg
    280 Observing.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 280 tracer.jpg
    280 tracer.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 280-30 Grenade.jpg
    280-30 Grenade.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
You're not supposed to ask that JC. I was hoping to keep you going for a bit longer!

Actually it belongs to a friend of mine here in the UK, but I entertain hopes of prising it from him one day.

Cheers
Tony

Lucky me I guess, for testing purposes, the danish army, hand gunnery school, acquired two em2's and an appropiate amount of ball ammo and I have two of those (pink tipped) rounds. No need for drooling over blue cases or other exotica:tinysmile_twink_t:
Soren

Soren - Is it possible to find out the serial numbers of these two weapons please?

Regards
TonyE

The one transferred to the Tjhusmuseum in 1971 is number 9, according to their book of aquisitions. It was delivered with 6 magazines, bayonet with scabbard, sling and a set of tools including a cleaning rod. All in a box.http://www.thm-online.dk/genstande/54-b3980/ The other one was for a long time in a Home Guard collection/museum, (by invitation only, but very hands on). where it is now I do not know, probably destroyed.
Soren

http://www.thm-online.dk/genstande/54-b3980/

Just a note that I just added a nice .280 Proof with two red bands on the bullet. Happily my very good friend NatoDave decided not to bid against me. That could have gotten nasty!

Well, I miss Tony more than ever, but I have to tell him I just got a .270! I am catching up!