What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.280 British Service: Origins of todays 6.8mmSPC?

Cutaway

I read somewhere that the proposed .280Calibre that was used in the Enfield EM-2 was very identical to the 6.8SPC and also retains the same ballistics, This round was also to be used in the TADEN machine gun.

So is this round exactly the same as the 6.8mm SPC?, Its just that i was thinking if it was, it could be used in an EM2 rifle if it was to be brought back.

The .280" for the EM2 was an original design. The 280/30 was the .280 with the rim altered to the same dimensions as the .30-06 in an attempt to overcome US objections and the 7mm Mark 1z was the .280/30 loaded with the Belgian S12 bullet.

All these appeared long before the 6.8mmSPC. I do not have the dimensions of the SPC to hand but I very much doubt if it is the same as the .280. The .280 is a true 7mm round, and it would be more correct to ask if the 6.8mm duplicated the .280 rather than the other way round.

Post a drawing or the dimensions of the 6.8mm and i can soon check.

Regards
TonyE

Pic of both rds , as you can see they are not the same.
The 6.8mm SPC is based on the .30 Remington an almost obsolete round.

Attachments

• spc280.jpg
    spc280.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 68mmspc.jpg
    68mmspc.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator: