What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bullet identification

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi can anybody help identify this bullet the one on the right that is, the first one is a 174 grain 303 the next is a 215 grain 303 but the last one is 225 grain and 37mm in length all are 310in in diameter
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1040622.jpg
    P1040622.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
It is a Kynoch match projectile, used in both the normal .303 case and the longer Swift case. There was also a 225 grain round nosed version loaded in the normal .303 case.

Regards
TonyE

That was quick thank you Tony, can't say as i have seen a swift round do you know the length or have a pic.
Cheers
Andy

I am not well up on those early match rifle rounds, being a military collector, but I think it is the same case as the .375/.303. I will see if I can find a picture.

Cheers
TonyE

Here is the bullet loadeed into a normal .303 Match round. Headstamp is "K C *" and dates aound 1910-13.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33
This 225 grain bullet was introduced about 1906, and was made by not only Kynoch, but also King's Norton, and BM&MCo. It was used for Match-Rifle shooting, and was loaded in both the ordinary .303 case, and the longer .375/303 case that was introduced in 1905 by Kynoch (and called by them the Kynoch Axite; - this case is frequently referred to by various sources as the .375/303 Westley Richards Accelerated Express, but this is quite wrong, as Westley Richards had nothing to do with the development of this round).

Kynoch referred to their design of bullet as the Swift, but the design was modified about 2 years later by Hookham (one of Kynoch's employees), and was then given what might be described as a "bevelled" tip.

KN referred to their bullet as the "Pointed Palma", and when loaded into the .375/303 case the round was referred to as the "Long Palma".

Regards,

Roger.

Thanks Roger, I knew I had it about right, but match ammo is a little outside of my comfort zone!

Cheers
TonyE

Thank you Roger, the bullet has KN on the base so it must be Kings Norton,i do have a 375/303 round but in has 210 grain copper capped bullet is this right?
All the best
Andy

Attachments

• P1040660.jpg
    P1040660.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Yes, I have seen several of the 375/303 cases loaded with the copper-capped sporting bullets, all of which cases having various Kynoch headstamps. I have also seen Eley cases with soft-nosed bullets in. However, the only bullets I have seen in the KN and BM&MCo cases have been the pointed match bullets.

As a "new" calibre in 1905/6, I am sure rifle manufacturers would have chambered not only Match rifles, but also sporting rifles for this round, and Kynochs would have been keen to push ammunition sales therefore, and so would have loaded various styles of sporting bullets. As the calibre became more popular, Eley Bros would have taken the opportunity to produce their own ammunition (although I do not think they could have made very much, as their h/s in this calibre is quite scarce.

KN were better known as makers of accurate target and military ammunition than of sporting, but there is no doubt that they could have loaded this calibre with sporting pattern bullets, especially if they were asked to do so by a client, so there may well be such rounds out there to be found.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Roger.

Thank you roger that’s very helpful and informative, Its defiantly my favourite round is the 303.
Best regards
Andy

Andy what is the head stamp on the 375/303 in the photo and I don't suppose you have a spare case for the 375/303 do you

cheers
Richard.

Thank you Roger, the bullet has KN on the base so it must be Kings Norton,i do have a 375/303 round but in has 210 grain copper capped bullet is this right?
All the best
Andy

Hi Richard, sorry i only have the one i too am looking for another but they don't seem to be many about as for headstamp it reads
KYNOCH.AXITE. 375-303
regards
Andy