What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ofv m80 7.62

zziplex

just picked up about a dozen RG 7.62 cases,in with them a few ofv m80 7.62 cases.new to this so bear with me if iv got this totally wrong.ofv were an indian manufacturer,were they making to NATO spec (no NATO stamp)and being used by our armed forces or are they just rogue cases mixed in with the RGs

just checked some 5.56 cases with headstamp H1 5.56.cant find much about this stamp apart from it might be from singapore,so i think this and the OFV 7.62 are odd cases in a collection of NATO 5.56 and 7.62s

OFV = Ordnance factory Verangoan, Bhusawal, India

H1 = Chartered Industries of Singapore Ltd, H1 = 1981

Hope this helps.

The Indian OFV ammunition was certainly supplied to the British army back in the 1970's - I remember using it on various ranges in Germany. Singapore-made 5.56mm has also been issued in British service but I doubt if it was ever issued here in the UK, I only saw it being used during the 1980's in Hong Kong and Malaysia.
Jim

Yes, both these calibres would be standard NATO ball loads. How many bullets are you looking for? I've got a handful of 7.62mm bullets and four 5.56mm bullets - all unfired - which you're very welcome to if it's any help. If it's for your son I'll gladly include a few unwanted bits & pieces as well.
PM me your mailing address.
Jim

thanks Jim,that would be great.my son is 7 and will be well pleased with them.he is building up quite a collection with a little help from the members on this site.il pm you with address....thanks Andrew+Matthew

A little more information on the OFV rounds for you.

The factory was set up by Winchester specifically to manufacture 7.62mm ammo. Note that it is M80 ball, the American title for the lead cored ball round, as opposed to the normal U.S. M59 mild steel cored ball round. M80 is the U.S. equivalent of British L2A2 ball.

The contract ammo supplied to the UK was packaged in the brown cardboard packets shown, but the issue Indian army ammo was packed with their white military label shown alongside.

REgards
TonyE

Attachments

• OFV 2.jpg
    OFV 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 14
  • OFV 1.jpg
    OFV 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I ought to clarify that when I said the Singapore 5.56mm was loaded with the standard NATO ball bullet it is in fact the older M193 bullet and not the current bullet.
Jim

Tony,

There seem to be quite a few of the white packets about, but have never seen one of the brown ones before. Most interesting!

Roger.

Roger - I picked the brown packet up at Bisley goodness knows how many years ago! In fact back then I don't remember seeing the Indian issue white packet.

Regards
TonyE