What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Grenade No 36 manufactor

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hi,
I've found today a mills gren No 36 with for me an unknown manufactory codes : JP&S
Who can say me wich manufactory it is ?

JP is in the green band, &S just under (bad seeing)

Yoda

Attachments

• Mills 36.JPG
    Mills 36.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 57
If the marking is JPS or JP&S, the maker is most likely Josiah Parkes & Sons, of Willenhall, Staffordshire.

If the marking is JP&S LD, the maker is most likely John Pilling & Sons Ltd, Colne, Lancashire.

The markings of the two manufacturers are sometimes difficult to distinguish.

Parkes made over 4,000,000* No.36 in WWII and Pilling over 3,000,000**.

*Actually 4,446,548 No.36M MkI between January 1940 and October 1945
**Again, 3,138,561 No.36M MkI between July 1939 and March 1945

source - WWII contract/supply papers

Tom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, guys !
The marking is only JP&S, it is then Josiah (or joseph !?) Parkers & Sons,

Very helpfull, thanks again

Yoda

Thanks for the answers, guys !
The marking is only JP&S, it is then Josiah (or joseph !?) Parkers & Sons,

Very helpfull, thanks again

Yoda

These things are never simple.

I would go with Josiah Parkes and Sons - but would have no problem if there was evidence for John Pilling.

The first photo shows two JPS bodies, the green painted one on the right being a WWI item (though drilled as a training grenade in WWII). As far as I know, Pilling did not make Mills grenades in WWI, and Parkes did, so this JPS marking is Parkes.

The third photo shows a JP&S LD body, with 1937 JP&S LD base plug, and there is documentary evidence for John Pilling at this pre-WWII period. (However, to add confusion, there are also WWI castings with JP&S LD, so Josiah Parkes clearly also used this marking in 1917-8.)

The middle photo, JP&S - well, it could be either Parkes or Pilling...

Tom.

Attachments

• JP&S LD.jpg
    JP&S LD.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • JP&S.jpg
    JP&S.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
  • JPS.jpg
    JPS.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Manufacturor Code

Thanks for the explanation, Snufkin. I learn something more, now ! :tinysmile_twink_t:

Yoda

Hi there , I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon please. I just got my old No36 out of the loft. It was given to me on an RAF ammo dump in the early 80s as a cadet. The markings below the filler plug show JPS written sideways on and on the lever side is 7 D. the body has 5 holes in it. The fuze holder is a Zinc one (Z) with PDC 10 cast on it. However the base plug is steel with SEG No.36 M 11 and 9/42. From what i've seen on the site it appears to be a right mixmatch (I think). Could anybody elaborate on the markings etc , and also let me know what typee of lever and striker would be right to complete it. Many thanks.