What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Charge Bags

ben2000

Hello All,

I've added a few nice old British charge bags from around 1907-1918 into my collection over the last couple of years and they don't often get seen, It would be nice to get a nice thread going of different bags. Most people collect the shells and cases but these charge bags seldom survive since they are made from natural materials like silk, wool, cotton and linen.
The (Inert) ones I have added photos of below are as follows:

1- Charge bag for 12pdr 12cwt Saluting charge dated approx. 1907 (Blank)- Would have contained 1 lb's of Large Grain Black Powder.

2- Charge bag for 12pdr 8cwt Saluting charge approx. 1907 (Blank)- Would have contained 1lb 8oz of Large Grain Powder.

3 - Set of charge bags for 4.5inch Howitzer dated July 1913. These would have contained 'hoops' of cordite in the following quantities:
Bag 1- 5oz 14drs Size 2. Bag 2- 1oz 5drs Size 2. Bag 3- 1oz 12drs Size 2. Bag 4- 2oz 9drs Size 2. Bag 5- 4oz 5drs Size 4.

4 & 5- Set of 5 Bags for 4.5inch Howitzer dated 2nd Nov 1917. These were filled with NCT5. This was Nitro Cellulose Tubular which we imported from US during the war to supplement our dwindling supplies of Cordite. Unlike cordite, NCT was extruded as small pellets and so the usual ring donut chaped bags as shown in photo 3 couldn't be used so different size and shape bags were used that didnt have the hole in the middle. These were filled in the following quantities:
Bag 1- 7oz. Bag 2- 1oz. Bag 3- 1oz 13drs. Bag 4- 2oz 12drs. Bag 5- 5oz 3drs.

6 & 7- Three Charge bags for 4.5inch Howitzer, dated 2nd May 1918. Again would have been filled with NCT5 in the quantities described above.

Hope you all enjoy, and if anyone has any to add to the thread - or sell me :tinysmile_twink_t: go ahead.

Ben.

Attachments

• 4.5inch Cordite.JPG
    4.5inch Cordite.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.5inch How NCT1.JPG
    4.5inch How NCT1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.5inch How NCT2.JPG
    4.5inch How NCT2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.5inch How NCT3.JPG
    4.5inch How NCT3.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.5inch How NCT4.JPG
    4.5inch How NCT4.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 12pdr8cwt Saluting.JPG
    12pdr8cwt Saluting.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 12pdr12cwt Saluting.JPG
    12pdr12cwt Saluting.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi Ben and thanks for showing us these bags as it is not often one see's them with most be destroyed either in use or after time expiry etc.
Nice items.

Very Nice. Whould you happen to have any measurements for a 6 inch 23 cwt charge bag? I found length measurements but not width. I would assume just less then the 6 inches.....

Thanks,
Craig