What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50cal APDS Penetrator

kahu1

Premium Member
Penetrator core from (allegedly) South African .50cal APDS round.

.133.JPG136.JPG

Cheers
Bob

Dia. is 7.62mm ,and i was told today that it is a 7.62mm/.308 low BC projectile ,from South Africa.
Can anyone confirm either?

cheers
Bob

If it is a penetrator then it will be made of heat treated hardened steel, tungsten steel or similar. Hardly the sort of thing one would use for an unjacketed 7.62mm bullet.

Regards
TonyE

This item seems to be over 2 inches long, which is rather excessive for a 7.62mm bullet. Although I have seen low-drag high ballistic coefficient 7.62mm bullets for long range shooting, they were all turned from solid brass or bronze, and were not grooved/ringed in that fashion.

So seems more likely to be a penetrator for a larger calibre round.

Roger.

Finally ID'd.
This is a GSC custom bullet from South Africa ,developed for long range shooting.
Turned from solid copper rod,hence no magnetism and lightish weight,and the tarnished finish.
Obviously i shouldn't believe everything i'm told , and something new to learn all the time !.
cheers
Bob