What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger stuff

charley777

105mms.jpgJapanese collection July 2011.jpgRussia, PRC...12.7 to 57mm.jpgassortment1.jpgassortment2.jpg75mm plus.jpgSome more stuff cluttering up my mezzanine. I should point out that some of the projectiles are not "correct". As many of you will know. For example the 25Pr HE in the Kwk 43 case is a bit weird LOL anyway most people around here would not be interested in such things, which is why a forum of fellow enthusiasts is so worth joining.

Great display Charley, you must be well pleased with that selection especially if you consider you've not really been collecting that long!
I know what you mean about the KWK 43 it's a bit naughty but I think it looks quite good!!
Dave.

Hi Charley and thanks for showing us that superb collection=impressive and a few items I have not seen before.

Might I ask what the 57mm Green case round is in picture three-the band and shape of case and projo look Russian but I have not seen a steel case before (assuming it is steel!) and the colour is not what one would expect !
Congratulations on a fine collection.

Hi Charley,
what Chris said and also do you have any info on the white tipped 14.5mm in the same photo please?

Cheers
Tony

Hiya Charley,

Nice to finally see some more of your collection, and it's also nice to see "some old friends" again. :p
I also see that your Japanese selection has grown. I had seen some of the projectiles in there, but I was wondering if the Type 88 instantaneous fuze on the 70x101R projectile is a resin cast made by Andrew?
As you surely know, some items are incorrect like the 25mm projo (3rd from the left) and the dummy fuze on the 75mm Shrapnel projo, as well as some of the projos on the right. Nice line-up though!

Yeah, how about that 'naughty' KwK43 casing.... Well let's see if we can work towards getting you the proper projectile as well... ;)
An HE one is very rare though, and an APHE one weighs some 10 KG, so postage will be a b*tch again.

Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Cheers!
Olafo

Last edited:
Greetings
Chris42 and Tony.........that is a Chinese made 57x348SR round for a Type 59 AA gun. And it seems a direct copy of Russian ammunition, apart from the steel case.
shall find or make a photo of the markings to post.
Tony................I think the white tipped 14.5mm proj is an AP but can't actually remember right now. Easy to check when home with Chris Koll's excellent Soviet gun/ammo book.
Olafo................Glad you enjoyed (-: Yes that is one of Andrew Chang's resin replica fuzes on the 70mm round. As you see, i have yet to "restore" the projectile.
And since the photo was taken, i have another of Andrew's replica fuzes which suits the 75mm shrapnel projectile. And yep i finally found the 37x165R proj, here in NZ. By the way, are those two 47mm projs on the right not Japanese? I thought the longer one may be though the Hotchkiss DB on the other has me wondering. Anyone have a fuze? haha

Last edited:
Hi Charley,

Well, I'm not 100% sure, of course, but the black projectile doesn't look Japanese (the driving band and overall shape looks 'wrong'). The 47mm with corrugated Hotchkiss band may be Japanese (although almost all of the Japanese ones in this calibre are of the APHE kind, instead of the HE kind). Are there any markings on it? Particularly, a small anchor on the driving band and/or the typical IJN acceptance mark under the driving band?
If not these, are there other markings on it?
As for the black one: no idea where it's from....

Cheers,
Olafo

Last edited:
Tony, according to Chris Koll's book, that projectile is a "Reference Ball" which is a standard B-32 (API) with a white tip. ????

Many thanks Charley,I have bit of a odd one here as I have a soft cored TP-T which has corrosion on the projectile jacket caused by a coloured band or tip but no paint remains so thought it may have been one of these but as it's not a AP-I it can't be....so the hunt goes on

Cheers
Tony

Hi Charley,

Well hasn't someone been a busy bee!!!

Great stuff - especially that "big" one! :xd:

Cheers
Drew

Hi Drew
With plenty of help from friends :tinysmile_hmm_t:
But i haven't had the courage to start panel-beating yet .

Cheers....charley