What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unkown Bomblet

fotomanx

Hi All

Has anyone Infos over this Bomblet:

Bomblet: Diameter 70 mm
Lenghst 170 mm

Parachute: Diameter 280 mm

Cord: Lenghst 330 mm

Material: Aluminium

Weight: 1.000 Gramm

Regards PeterBomblett 2.jpgBomblett.jpg

Not near my library right now, but - That is the drop dummy for the French Belouga (check spelling). There are three live versions, the HE, a HEAT and an antidisturbance version of the HE which has an IZ marking on the fuze. Hope this helps.

Not a good picture, but here is my piece beside a cutaway of the HEAT version.

DSCN1837.jpg

It comes from a French aircraft dispenser/bomb.

http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&current=blg66.jpg&mediafilter=images

info below came from here: http://www.vectorsite.net/twbomb_02.html

[2.3] FRENCH BELOUGA / BRITISH BL-755 CBUS

* European nations, including France, the UK, and Germany, have built and used their own types of cluster munitions. The French contribution to cluster bomb technology is the "Belouga", which is optimized for low-level high-speed strike. Its canister is 3.3 meters (10 feet) long and is 36.6 centimeters (14.5 inches) in diameter.
The Belouga is loaded with 151 submunitions. It can dispense three different types of submunitions: a fragmentation bomb for use against soft targets, an armor-piercing bomb for use against tanks, and a mine used for "area denial" operations. Each submunitions is 66 millimeters (3 inches) in diameter, and weighs 1.3 kilograms (2.86 pounds).
The Belouga is parachute-retarded after release. It is not a clamshell canister, instead ejecting the submunitions from launching ports covering the weapon's body. The submunitions deploy small parachutes after ejection. The pilot may select either a concentrated or dispersed submunition scatter pattern before release of the weapon. The Belouga was a follow-on to the "Giboulee", a dispenser that had 12 or 24 tubes that could store five bomblets each.

Attachments

• twbomb_02_08.png
    twbomb_02_08.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 47
  • blg66.jpg
    blg66.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Great timing on this post. I just picked one up from Finland through SA.
Has a green body and perfect parachute.
Now I know what I bought!

Hello Everyone ...

We are currently working on the EOD publication for these so I thought I would throw the thread back out there. I am looking for any pictures of the 3 different versions out there. I don't seem to have any good color pictures, especially straight on shots of them.

Joe