What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

66 mm Czech Marine case

H

Hoeksel

I recently bought a book (in Czech) about Czech artillery used between 1919 and 1945. In the book was mentioned a 66 mm navy gun. Does this go with a 66x575R92 case? I would love to see some pictures of such a case or even better, anybody has one up for trade or sale?

I suppose this navy gun was made for export as Czechoslovakia is (was) a landlocked country.

As far as I understand the book it is used by the Czech. One picture shows the 6,6 cm Model 1930 on a patrol boat (President Masaryk). A second picture also shows the ammo, it i a long case.

Yes it would be good to see a picture of this round.
I have a 66x ? round listed as a Skoda C95 L/18 landing gun.
But the case you mention seems very large for a landing gun so perhaps there is another to look for....

As far as I understand the book it is used by the Czech. One picture shows the 6,6 cm Model 1930 on a patrol boat (President Masaryk). A second picture also shows the ammo, it i a long case.
I just looked up that ship, apparently it was a river patrol boat, so use of a Naval gun by CZ now makes sense.

The pictures. The title of the book source is visible.

Attachments

• 6,6 cm gun vzor 30 ammo.jpg
    6,6 cm gun vzor 30 ammo.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 6,6 cm gun vzor 30.jpg
    6,6 cm gun vzor 30.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
I have a trenchart that appears to have been made from a predecessor of this casing. From another forum, it appears to be a 66 x 495mm casing from the Austro-Hungarian 7cm SFK L/45 gun. My casing was originally brass and is now nickel plated. It measures 66mm diameter at the case mouth. It is 490mm long, and the rim is 82mm diameter. Unfortunately, there are no markings left on the head, as the case appears to have been machined. The brass can be seen through the machining in a couple places. Please see the attached pictures.

John

6mmshell_1.jpg6mmshell_2.jpg

Besides the 66x575R92 case there is also a Czech 66mm model 1945 gun. Dimensions for this case are unknown to me.

From Fert on the International Ammunition Association forum, the 66mm Czech casing is conical. He also provided the images I've attached with his permission.
IMG_6471.jpgWEISS BUDAPEST 1905 XXXIV.jpg

So there was apparently a 65mm Austro-Hungarian (Czech?) naval flying-boat gun with a case 65x495R x87
But that seems very close to the nickeled case above.
Does anyone know anything about the flying boat gun? Was it actually 66mm and not 65mm? But then the rim diameter doesn't match.....