What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 pdr blank info please.

Darrol

Premium Member
Ive recently aquired a 1905 13 pdr blank and wish to know more about it. Markings VS &M ( in a circle which i beleve to be vickers son and maxim )BLANK 13 pdr l wd arrow over 7 . . 14 2 11 (refilled) and a solid brass dummy primer marked DUMMY with four AAAA in a bunch and on the other end 5 over 14882 with VSM.what would be the purpose of a dummy primer on a blank cartridge? And how was the end sealed ? Thanks .Darrol.hope to put some pics up tomorrow .

1915 ordering information

From the 1915 Priced Vocabulary of Stores.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 48
Cheers gspragge.Do you happen to know when they stopped using brass for the dummy primer?.

The 13 Pr Blank was still used for saluting purposes in the 1980s (and perhaps still today too). I once made some up using 2 Ounce bags of gunpowder (GP). I think there may have been more than one version, by varying the amount of GP - 4 Ounces rings a bell with me. Then a preformed thickened paper cup was shellaced in place in the mouth of the cartride, together with a new primer and a safety clip on the base, 12 to a box.

Recently found two of these 13 pounder cases. Used by the South African Army. Both are identical and have DUMMY on the primers.

I would also like to know more about these. If they were used as DRILL rounds what did the projectile look like?

896546_151015193731_image[1].jpg

The main use for the dummy primer was to be screwed in a blank cartridge in storage. The case may have a charge in it at this time or may be made up to a required charge weight according to where it is being used (confined spaces etc.)
This is because it is highly desirable that primers used in blanks used for high profile saluting should all work.
There is an item called Gauge Testing Effective Blow of Striker, used in ammunition depots, to test the locks used for testing primers.
There are copper cones used with this which are measured before and after they are struck to ensure that the strike is not too weak or too strong.
The lock would be used to test the lot of primers to be used in the blanks, also for cyclic proof of primer lots in general.