What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

>303 Tracer box

Note the Br ( British Rail) shipping date - 1964
I reckon old un used ex war stock
V nice condition though & I like the pull back top/seal - maybe we did learn something from Rourke`s Drift!!??.

Amazing how British Rail (they dropped the 'ways' bit in 1965) managed to deliver a parcel to Egypt 21 years before they changed their name.....Strange, I thought they were notorious for their tardy deliveries. Item is a load of cobblers.

Gunnerop

Sorry I think I've missed something here,not being an expert on ammo boxes or British rail,but I can't see a 1964 date on the label but I can see a 1944 date on it.
So is this a deliberate forgery?

Tony

RAF Hassani was in Greece, near Athens. 108 Sqn was in Libya on the date in the label and only moved to Greece in October 1944.

Box shows some non regular features. Its not painted brown, and the markings are not in yellow, lots of markings are missing such as weight, Government Explosives label etc . "RAF" isn't a marking that would have been put on an ammo box Why would something as dangerous as live tracer ammunition be put on a civilian train?

British Railways was formed in 1948. Prior to that it was regional companies.

Last edited:
So we all agree, its a load of old (or not so old) b*ll*cks, though it did come from a museum!!!
Thanks for your input guys.
Hangarman

I think you will find the handwriting on that label to be in marker ink, not grease pencil as would be normal for the mid 40s. The British Rail name was the chosen corporate name from 1965, coinciding with the blue design programme and the British Rail Alphabet typography still used today (Which is not the same as Helvetica medium as some people think).
Soren