What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade photos

Tom Do you know what the items are 3rd in at bottom left and right, fantastic picture, some years back Darryl Lynn had a section on his web site of Hales showing his grenades to the Germans just before WW1, i wonder what ever happened to that photo album..... Dave

I've still got the photos Dave!! I will try to post them on my website and provide the link, likely tomorrow.

WW1 Grenades 001.jpgA scan of an old picture from my collection, hopefully you can make out a wonderful selection of British WW1 Grenades, No 1's, No 2's 3, 5, 12, etc...
also what looks to be a full box of No 1 Mk 1's !!

Tony.

Nice photo. I've cut it up and enlarged the individual photos a bit, here is the best I could do.

WW1%20Grenades%20001a.jpgWW1%20Grenades%20001b.jpgWW1%20Grenades%20001c.jpgWW1%20Grenades%20001d.jpgWW1%20Grenades%20001e.jpg

I should probably post this one elsewhere, but it is from the same group of photos....

Looks a little like a grenade, 206mm long, 81mm in diameter. Markings on the cap are 245-II-C.W.C.-3-BR. Looks a little like a short cartridge case on one end and possibly a fuze on the other? Looks like Brit markings to me, though it could be another Commonwealth country - you guys may recognize it right off??

unk  1.jpgunk  2.jpgunk  3.jpgunk  4.jpgunk  5.jpg

US-Subs,

I believe it to be a 3" Smith Gun round, British manufacture. It has a 245 Allways fuze, which is essentially a metal version of the 247 fuze used on No. 69 grenade, Gammon Bomb etc.

Regards

TimG

US-Subs,

It was an 'Home Guard' weapon. An artillery piece, 3" smooth bore. Very limited range. HE and anti-tank projectiles. By all accounts not a popular weapon.

TimG

Thanks, first time I've seen a photo of one.