What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Arming Wire Screws.

whsammler

Hey guys,

Was talking with fellow BOCNr Jiipee76 about the elusive screws for fixing the arming wire to the DoppZ 41 (& others in the same range) fuze.

Here is what I came up with. I found in my junk bins a few brass 3mm screws that were originally used on vintage Vespa Motorscooters to attach the main wire loom to the engine harness. These were located in a wee Bakelite or plastic box on the back of the motor or in the swing arm of the engine in later models.

Not having a lathe I just chucked them up in my drill and used my thin Sandrik chainsaw file to profile the screw head down. Crude...yes...effective...yes!!

I know brass was not the original material used for this application. This was more of an experiment to see it I could do it.
I'm going to contact my garage materials supplier (WRTH) to see if the carry a similar screw in steel. If they do and I can duplicate what I did in brass I'm going to offer them to members here for free (just pay the postage) or if you want you can just go to your local Vespa spares dealer or Piaggio Center and order the junction box for a mid 70,s Vespa Primavera (VMA) & do the mod yourself.

Let me know I welcome your feedback.

Glen
http://wehrmachtinternetmuseum.tumblr.com/
Follow me on twitter @WHINTERMUSEUM

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931270.866813.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931270.866813.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 46
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931291.681591.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931291.681591.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931311.300270.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931311.300270.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 41
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931322.142356.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320931322.142356.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 53
Do you have thread diameter and pitch of the screws? Those on my SD2's don't unscrew to measure. If I know the thread size I can for sure find/make suitable ones of steel for you.

Try McMaster Carr (SP?). They have many screws with many profiles to choose from, both standard (this side of the pond), and metric. They should have what you need. Cheers, Bruce.

Do you have thread diameter and pitch of the screws? Those on my SD2's don't unscrew to measure. If I know the thread size I can for sure find/make suitable ones of steel for you.

If you can either find or make some of these there definately is a market for them. I too have filed down some odd steel screws I found, but it is a time consuming job and the results are less than perfect.

I for one could use quite a few!!! - I'm sure there are a number of others on here that would also be interested.
regards Kev

Hey guys,

Was talking with fellow BOCNr Jiipee76 about the elusive screws for fixing the arming wire to the DoppZ 41 (& others in the same range) fuze.

Here is what I came up with. I found in my junk bins a few brass 3mm screws that were originally used on vintage Vespa Motorscooters to attach the main wire loom to the engine harness. These were located in a wee Bakelite or plastic box on the back of the motor or in the swing arm of the engine in later models.

Not having a lathe I just chucked them up in my drill and used my thin Sandrik chainsaw file to profile the screw head down. Crude...yes...effective...yes!!

I know brass was not the original material used for this application. This was more of an experiment to see it I could do it.
I'm going to contact my garage materials supplier (WRTH) to see if the carry a similar screw in steel. If they do and I can duplicate what I did in brass I'm going to offer them to members here for free (just pay the postage) or if you want you can just go to your local Vespa spares dealer or Piaggio Center and order the junction box for a mid 70,s Vespa Primavera (VMA) & do the mod yourself.

Let me know I welcome your feedback.

Glen
http://wehrmachtinternetmuseum.tumblr.com/
Follow me on twitter @WHINTERMUSEUM

Great job Glen, thanks for showing the pics. I came across some odd similar screws in steel and filed them down, but I found it difficult to get an even roundness to them - however I think someone with the right tools could make a better job than me.

Yours look great, as you say, just need to find some steel ones now.
regards Kev

The brass screws out of 3 pin plugs work too but if any of you can make steel ones I'd be in the market for quite a few too :)
Dave.

Aye,count me in for a batch. Ive lost a lot of interest lately because of other factors going on but i must admit that if i got a shedload oof these screw,then i could be tempted back into the fray. ;)

best

waffy

I have some suitable steel screws and quite likely will get more. I'll make a few correct ones out of them and show you the result soon.

Here some examples, pictures showing raw screws on right and ready products on left as well as ready screws screwed on a fuze. Screws are of zinc coated steel, some zinc remains appear so you may dip them in any acid to get zinc away and nice rust instead.
If you need any, PM me, cost is 1.00 Euro /each ( yes not cheap but it's a bit work to get material and make them ). Shipping cost for any quantity 1.50 Euros. For the moment I have material for some 20 screws only and it will take some time to get more.

Attachments

• screws-1.jpg
    screws-1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 15
  • screws-2.jpg
    screws-2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • screws-3.jpg
    screws-3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 10
  • screws-4.jpg
    screws-4.jpg