What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.22 rf

I know of only one .303 inch Ball Mark III in private hands (or anywhere else) and that changed hands for 3,500 about three years ago. There are a couple of sectioned projectiles in major collections but that is about it.

For the Incendiary B Mark V, again I know of only one live example and a couple of sectioned projs.

Even the Pattern Room do not have complete examples of these two, so keep your eyes open!

Regards
TonyE.

Hi Tony
Isn't there a couple of Mk III's in collections in the States?

Cheers
Tony
P.S what's this got to do with 22rf's?:wink:

Age is kicking in! My last post about the .303 inch Mark III should have gone on the .30-06 Label thread, just in case anyone else is wondering what this has to do with .22RF!

However Tony, I know of no complete Mark III in the US. Even the Woodin Collection only has a sectioned example (which I have photographed)

Regards
TonyE

Thanks TonyE,
know how it is my friend I'm reminded of a blog that I never 'blogged' every time I come on site!:tinysmile_cry_t:

100 packets of Mk2 to a case of 10,000:

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 27
- Inspection round for .22 conversion kit for L1A1 SLR. Turned brass with centre drilled out. Note length of the "case" portion. I am not familiar with this conversion kit but I understand that it fires before the bolt is fully home which is why the case length is like this. Any armourers here?

I was an armourer back in the seventies Tony. The .22" H&K conversion kit was in widespread use for the SLR. No, it did not fire from an open bolt position. It was blowback action and fired from a closed (but not locked) bolt position.The conversion kit's firing pin was actually struck by the SLR's hammer.
All of my time was spent with the infantry but, certainly at that level, we never saw .22" Inspection rounds.

The H&K kit consists of 3 items, a sub-calibre barel insert, a replacement bolt carrier, and a .22lr magazine.

Because the subcalibre barrel "seats" in the 7.62x51 chamber and has an approx .625" extension that forms the .22lr chamber, full bolt carrier travel is not possible to engage locking. The replacement bolt carrier uses a reduced strength spring to allow blowback action to force the carrier back enough to re-cock the hammer. Blowback extraction can cause a bit of carbon fouling around the chamber mouth after 50-100 rounds, but does impair function.

And also, the .22 kit will function fully in the L2A1 AR as well as the L1A1.

Attachments

• IMG_1777-2.jpg
    IMG_1777-2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1778-2.jpg
    IMG_1778-2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1780-2.jpg
    IMG_1780-2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG