What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG08/15 blank?

Mark Finneran

DSC05305.jpg

Does anybody know of the existance of WWI trg ammunition (Imperial German) be it blank or wooden for the MG08/15?
VMT
Mark

Yes

The first had a blue primer. Because it was not visible enough they colored the bullet blue.

Attachments

• DSC08648.jpg
    DSC08648.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
Sir huge thanks for sharing. I understand the difference between wooden trg ammunition and blank. As the MG08 had a Blank Firing Attachment (BFA) I assume there was blank rounds. I cannot find any evidence of WWI MG08/15 BFA?
Mark

Just wondering if the red/purple projectile in the photo shown by Dutch is more likely a Gewehr Blank and not a MG Platzpatrone? Also, I see that the blue projectile blank has a 'sortie ring' around the case.....would this have occurred during 1914-18, or post WW1?
regards,
Peter.
And by the way, nice 08/15 Mark!

Peter, you made the same mistake as solders in WW1. They looked to the bullet and not to the primer. This was the reason to give the bullet a blue color.

The first years (1890) it was an indication of a factory made blank 88. Later a marking for a reloaded fired case as blank. Also during WW1.

Rgds

Last edited:
Mark, a blank was only for making noise.
After firing the wooden bullet was fragmentized, a few meters in front of the barrel.
Perhaps it helps if you look inside. :wink:

Attachments

• Platz1.jpg
    Platz1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 44
DSC06897.jpg

MG08 BFA - still wanting to confirm the existance of a WWI MG08/15 BFA.
TY Peter and Dutch for interest/comments.
Mark

Dutch, thanks for that information...is it correct that the Gewehr Blank 'projectile' was longer than the MG?
Peter.

Dutch and Peter C great info. I am a little confused though as the MGs had BFAs purely to assist the recoil/gas blow back, It is impossible for any particles of wood, small or large to exit the MG muzzle, and certainly any fouling inside would stop the cycle. My experience of blank is purely British military with crimped rounds where of course in a MG this would work. Are we sure these are not rifle blanks?