What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach find - No 138 Fuze

chopper

Hi guys,

My name is Lee and I'm from Cheshire. Today I took a trip to the beach with my metal detector, and found a large item covered in crud. I've brought it home, give it a good clean, and I've uncovered some marking which identify it as a No 138 fuze.

I have zero knowledge of these items, and have no idea whether it's dangerous or not. Any help you guys could offer would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Lee

Attachments

• IMG_6669.jpg
    IMG_6669.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6671.jpg
    IMG_6671.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6672.jpg
    IMG_6672.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6675.jpg
    IMG_6675.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6676.jpg
    IMG_6676.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi Lee,
What you have there is the remains of a British No 138 DA Percussion Fuze, cant help you with what it was used on but perhaps another member can add to that. It looks to be actioned and missing it's gaine and there for safe.

it09_087.jpg
But i would recommend that if you are unsure about any suspect item you find in the future, that you should leave it well alone and contact the relevant authority like the Police who will contact the EOD to take care of it.
Best Weasel.

Chopper,
With patience you might be able to get all that growth removed. Nice fuze.
Regards,
John

Thanks very much guys. Your knowledge is unreal... :)

I couldn't make out a shape or any markings due to the build up of crud and muck. It was only when I got it home that I realised what it was.

I have a fair knowledge of military items, but fuzes have never been a strong point of mine. Am I right in thinking that these type of fuzes were used in the British 3" mortar?

Thanks again guys,
Lee

Hi Lee, first of all welcome to BOCN, you will find everyone helpful on here, and I wish you good luck with your detectoring.

However, I would like to echo what Weasel has stated in his post..........anything suspicious ought to be left where it is and the authorities informed. I see this time and time again on the forum and with words such as were used here ......."I have no idea if it is dangerous or not." - which rather says it all !! Nothing is more valuable than your own life, these things are not worth the risk. Be safe - not sorry!!!

regards Kev

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to confirm, I couldn't actually make out the shape of the fuze. It was totally covered in crud, and it was only when I got it home and removed some of the build up, that it revealed itself as a fuze. The pictures I included were taken after about an hours cleaning.

I've been collecting military relics for a number of years, and I can confidently identify WW2 small arms ammunition, and larger ordnance items. I'm just not as knowledgable as I should be where seperate componants are concerned. I knew my item was a fuze, but I lack the knowledge the tell whether it is dangerous or not. If I would have found it in a recognisable condition, then I would have called the police immediately.

Cheers guys,
Lee

Thanks very much guys. Your knowledge is unreal... :)

I couldn't make out a shape or any markings due to the build up of crud and muck. It was only when I got it home that I realised what it was.

I have a fair knowledge of military items, but fuzes have never been a strong point of mine. Am I right in thinking that these type of fuzes were used in the British 3" mortar?

Thanks again guys,
Lee

Hello Lee yes the no138 was used on the 3" mortars,,it was in service from 1934 and obsoleted in 1949