What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 37mm

Brian Keith

Here is a piece that is probably not true "Trench-Art", I suspect is is commercially produced. But it is a nice looking US 37mm. Case is 37mm X 136, base and projectile are unmarked. Looking up from the primer pocket, I can see the projectile is hollow and doesn't look to be a real projectile. What gun would have this case been for?
Thanks for looking, any comments welcome.
BKW

DSC_0010.JPGDSC_0020.JPG

This is probably a made up round of surplus or reject parts made up after WW!. It was for the US Navy 1 pounder heavy, of which there were various models. The projectile possibly is not finished. If you remove it, you can see if they ftted the piece for the fuze and the threads for the fuze.Makes a good looking ornament and a sample of the round made as a souvenir

Thanks for your insight. I suspected as much. I see no threads on the inside of the projectile when looking up into the primer pocket. Many thanks!
Yours,
BKW

A 1 Pdr projectile, such as yours, is very likely a Common. Viewed from the base, it appears to be hollow, because it is. It was filled with an explosive and a base fuze, or filled with sand and a base plug. It's easy enough to make a replica base fuze or plug to finish it, but don't forget, the thread is left hand.

A very nice souvenir, regardless.

Ray

Thanks for you comments Ray, Projectile is firmly seated, so I won't bother working on a replica or trying to find a real one.
BKW

With the plaque on the side and all it was sold as a souvenir originally as you have it. You would not be any better off dong anything to it, it is what it is. This is another version of one of these.

Attachments

• FAtombs1pdr.a.jpg
    FAtombs1pdr.a.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 19
  • FAtombs1pdr.b.jpg
    FAtombs1pdr.b.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FAtombs1pdr.c.jpg
    FAtombs1pdr.c.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 28
Brian

I didn't mean to imply that you should do anything to your 37mm to make it more original. While I don't especially care for the 99% of "trench art" that is made commercially, I suppose it does have a place in collections that go for that sort of thing. Genuine Trench Art, on the other hand, is altogether different.

JMHO

Ray

Gspragge, Thanks for the photo's of your Souvenir shell, original packaging is rally great! Very neat item.
Ray, I very much appriciate your comments and explanation of what I have and the "real" shell, and what the "real" shell would be like. I'm here to learn and share what I have access to. I am curating on a "Trench-Art" exhibit at the art museum where I work and have found this site and the people here to be extremely helpful. The exhibit has room for soldier made art (the traditional "Trench-Art"), commercially produced "shell" art (Foux Trench-Art) and intact munitions (INERT) to demonstrate where and what the origins of the art were. Sights like these with helpful people like you folks make the research much quicker and better.
I saw somewhere about a book just about 37mm's, I looked around and can't seem to find it again, Does anybody know the name of it?
Yours,
BKW

Brian

The book you are referencing, most likely, is Robert Mellichamp's A GUN FOR ALL NATIONS The 37mm Gun & Ammunition.

Rick

Book 37mm 002 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
The shell in the tube was an ebay item way back not something I have. I had one though, like yours some time ago. Here is another version from another auction.

The company examples like the one you posted are interesting and I should have some, but some how I have successfully managed not to !

I do have this "After Dinner" 1 Pr, subcal -

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1d_1_b.jpg
    1d_1_b.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: