What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fao ben!

AndyD

I bought this fuze from Ben and can't identify it,I seem to remember it's Swiss but it doesn't appear to be in the Peter Jaeggi book.

Anyone help with designation and time period used please?
Cheers,
AndySWISS FUZE 001.jpg

Hi Andy
its a No 209 GB fuze
The mechanical time fuze was equipped with a Swiss watch (Tavaro) lasting 40 seconds. It was commissioned in 1937 and retired in 1947.
The No. 209 Mk I was in the end the original model Swiss
The No. 209 Mk II was used with HE shells (AA) of 4.5 inch Mk Ic

Andy,

Also used by the Dutch.
I can't remember the number but, if no one beats me, I will tell you monday.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks to both of you for your replies,much appreciated!
No designation markings that I can see, although the clock mechanism is stamped 40.

Cheers,
Andy

Sorry chris.
It is not the No 209 because that one has no screwed on booster. Is the steel part below the booster part of the fuze, if not it is the Dutch fue No 5.
The Dutch never stamped in the nomenclature only the yeat of manufacturing which in this case is 1940.

Attachments

• mtb no 5.jpg
    mtb no 5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the replies.
It is the clockwork mechanism inside the fuze that is stamped 40.
There are various other numbers stamped into the brass on the outside of the fuze,but no nomenclature.

Cheers,
Andy

Tavaro (Tavannes) made pelnty of their fuzes in various designs as customers ordered these. This one here has a booster/detonator arrangement we typically know from Finland.

Thanks EOD, must be from Finland then because the booster from the Dutch and Swedish one are different.