What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EOD Demolition Charge TX113A, OR "tHE POINT Focal".

EODONE

Ordnance Approved
This charge was filled with 1 to 2 grammes of P.E 4 or plastic explosive in the same range. It is used to give a Low Order Demolition on UXB's or Ord shells(Say). It also comes with 3 x mild steel rod that are to be used to form stand legs but any standard 1/16 to 1/8" welding rod can be used. not 100% but having used this device many times Inever had 0ne high order demolition (Just lucky) good tool in the field and it takes up little space. Very good at opening secure doors.

REgards John

:tinysmile_kiss_t3:4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Very interesting John,is it any good for getting cards back from ATM machines:wink:

Cheers
Tony

I saw a similar device used in 1983 on artillery shell. It was smaller and came with its own stand to give the optimum distance to the target shell. It did not comprehensively destroy the shell filling, just burnt some of the HE and spread the shell pieces and remaining filling over about a 3 metre radius. I do not remember its correct designation, just that it was known as `Crackerbarrel'.

I have used this on a good cross section of steel airdropped bombs, German / Brit / U.S.A & Jap and once you have the case thickness say a German 50kg set it up approx 4" back from the "Ogive" with a One gramme fill and an 11" stand off will crack the case open ever time just leaving you to clear up the main fill and dispose of the fuse pocket, then home for egg and chips.

Regards John

John, I agree, kinda seems like the same approach as the Mk 2. Cheers, Bruce.

I suspect that it is closer to the X-rod series, designed more for off-set RSPs and low-orders.

DSC_0016.jpg

The Mark duce has soldered legs, this one uses an elastic band. While in UK I achieved a perfect low order on a 50kg German bomb, full standoff shooting through two inches of mud.
John

John,
re-reading the original post you are completely correct. The description does much more closely match the MK2 (and larger) charges from the shaped charge kit. Here is a photo of some MK2s, stacked two per group. I've also thrown in a few extras, some from the shaped charge kit, some from elsewhere.

MK2 Conical Shaped Charge.jpg Conical chg from Shaped Chg Kit  2.jpg MK7 Mod 1 Linear Shaped Charge.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0062.jpg MK74-1-1 SIED Demo Charge.jpg

John

the shipping plug and det blank appear to be made of tufnol. Is that correct?
is the det blank solid or hollow?

do you know why it has an O ring on the shank?

i understood the plug and det form were to make hole for the electric det to sit in the centre of the explosive mass.
In a Bangalore, the det form is a thin walled hollow tube for the det which permits carry over into the explosive mass - hence the reason for my question.

rgds
Bob