What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally I Found Some 2" Mortars WWII.

Thanks for the details of the markings. I was wondering when the colour change, changed over from the normal varnish shellac finish to green with yellow markings, i suspect this would happen to other motar rounds such as the 3" mortars. Although my 2" is an early 1960's dated round I wondered if such rounds could be labled rather than painted, just for a breif period during its history?

I think (in the absence of JSP316!!) that the deep bronze green overall colour and the hazard bands were introduced in the 1960s to meet NATO standards. At some stage the hazard bands gave way to the hazard being indicated by the colour of the font but this was not always successful eg brown (for low explosive) on a blue (practice ground). I am not sure about the use of labels in lieu of stencilling/silk screening, I have seen labels on exhibition items but I dont expect they would pass muster from a QA point of view for an operational store.

I found a picture of the other side:-

Last 2-inch Mortar Bomb front2.jpg

Maybe my round was an exibition piece, i would wonder how such a round would be able to find its way out of stores. The tail on my round has not been fired its like new. I have just noticed the date on the photo you have posted is 61.

Last edited:
No photo of the other side I'm afraid BMG but typically the reverse shows method of filling code (L50/2 in this case), the fillers monogramme (GD = Glascoed) and date of filling (6/69), the Filled series number ( (48) ) and the nature of the filling (TNT 1). The 'front' would typically show the Calibre, Nature, Type and Mark/Model Number of the bomb [say 2-IN MOR HE MK 2], code denoting the filling [TNT 1 again perhaps], and the Batch Number when bombs are issued with primary cart and fuze [eg T56B].

It was an HE Mk 1 bomb and the Fuze was a I61 Mk 4 batch number 42 GD 1/69.. ( I was OIC Dems!) and yes, it was TNT1!

...was that really 10 years ago?

To be pedantic the white number in the white circle is the filled lot number, just of the bomb and does not include any batching which would involve the fuze.

Photos requested. I found them in a French show at Alsace, from a guy who was selling all his British stuff, he also had Gammons and other rare ordnance complete boxes of time pencils, etc. But that was not the first show he went and all that stuff was already sold when I met him. BUT he still had the mortars, I got very lucky and happy that Sunday because until that day the original WWII British 2" Mortars were missing from my collection of mortars, never found an original one in that condition anywhere. You can find German, French, Russian and USA mortars often in the shows, but never British ones, any of you can explain me why?
Best condition mortars Have ever seen.