What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105 recoiless

That's a hard round to find. I've got a nice projo body, but only a trashed set of field recovered fins.

yeah, wish I could remember what pub I pulled these pics from, I made jpgs of them some time ago for someone else and jsut re found them while going through my 105mm folder

Here is the HEAT, the field recovered fins, and a HEP.

DSCN3658.jpgDSCN3659.jpgDSCN3660.jpg

Now this one is a little more puzzling but seems to be M326 HEP for 105mm recoilless rifle based on illustrations shown earlier. It was field recovered so looks a little rough. DSCN0813-1.JPGDSCN0915-1.JPGDSCN0924-1.JPG

While researching the M326 recoilless rifle HEP some more, I came across this statement in ammunition, complete round charts, dated 1954: "Shell may be produced from shell, smoke, BE 105-mm, M84." Ammunition, complete round chart, book 2, artillery ammunition, dated 1961 states: "Shell may be produced from Smoke, 105mm, M84." The M84, of course, is boat-tailed. More modern HEP rounds produced by the USA had aluminum bases and were not boat-tailed so this item seemed quite unusual. As it turns out, there is a document on dtic.mil that explains the development of the M327 (T81E28) 105mm howitzer HEP shell. This document plainly states that this HEP round has a steel baseplate. Also, earlier, experimental versions of this round, the M327, used the M84 smoke shell as their starting point so this round, the M326, was not unusual for its time.

The complete round chart, book 2, artillery ammunition, dated 1961 also states that there was a M345 HEP-T round for the 105mm recoilless rifle. This round is stated as having 7.72 pounds of composition A-3 whereas the M326 had either 7.2 pounds of C-4 or 7.5 pounds of composition A-3.105mm RR Complete round charts 1954.jpg105mm RR_Complete round charts 1961 arty ammo.jpg

I have had this manual for 30 years. Anyone want to trade for it?

Attachments

• IMG_4118[1].jpg
    IMG_4118[1].jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4119[1].jpg
    IMG_4119[1].jpg
    285 KB · Views: 12
DSCN3108-C.jpgDSCN3052-C.jpg
The M341 rounds (T184E13, I believe) are not very rugged. They almost never seem to survive impact if they don't explode. The long aluminum tail boom shears off from the body and the tail fin section often shears off from the tail boom as well. The front stand-off conical windshield with piezoelectric crystal rarely survives impact either so the chance of finding one of these intact is slim even if they are fired in large amounts. This one is intact except for the front windshield which I just placed in front to show what the round should look like. The second photo shows what you typically find.

The 105mm M27 manual only shows a picture of the HE round and this ammo table with four rounds:

Attachments

• IMG_4120[1].jpg
    IMG_4120[1].jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 17
View attachment 142484View attachment 142485
The M341 rounds (T184E13, I believe) are not very rugged. They almost never seem to survive impact if they don't explode. The long aluminum tail boom shears off from the body and the tail fin section often shears off from the tail boom as well. The front stand-off conical windshield with piezoelectric crystal rarely survives impact either so the chance of finding one of these intact is slim even if they are fired in large amounts. This one is intact except for the front windshield which I just placed in front to show what the round should look like. The second photo shows what you typically find.

We used to see them in pieces on the range many years ago, but very hard to find as a collector's piece. Took me a long time to find this one. Prior to this I had to make do with a nice head and range recovered/shattered fin set.
DSC_1634.jpgIMG_0754a.jpg