What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent Chinese cannon ammo

Tony Williams

I have recently updated the Ammunition Photo Gallery on my website, replacing several of the photographs to include new acquisitions: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankammo.html

Two of the new additions are replicas of recent Chinese cannon rounds I had made for me from drawings, photos and some known measurements, as genuine items are not, as far as I'm aware, available in the West. These are the 23x183B Type 95 (used only in Chinese Army AA guns, to date) and the 37x240 Type 76 (used only in Chinese naval guns). Photos including them are shown below (from my Ammo Photo Gallery).

The 23x183B looks just like a scaled-up 23x152B ZU round, while the 37x240 bears a close resemblance to the 35x228 Oerlikon (in fact, NORINCO offers at least one naval gun in either 35mm or 37mm, to choice).

23-28b.jpg

34-37.jpg

A clarification: Dave asked me about the nominal 25x184 case length of the Oerlikon KBB round, since this is only the length of the APDS loading, the others (as in the photo) being closer to 173mm.

I believe that APDS is effectively the only "warshot" to see service, since I understand that the KBB gun was only bought by the Turkish Navy (four guns are used in the Sea Zenith CIWS mounting). These almost certainly use the APDS ammo, like all other Western anti-missile CIWS. So while HE rounds were offered, I'm not aware that they have seen service use.

So I think that 25x184 is the most appropriate designation of the cartridge. Others may differ!