What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patched 1'' Aiming Rifle.

Lancaster

Good Morning Gents. I have just read on line a copy of OU2567 Ammunition Pocket Book 1924. All standard stuff but the reference for the 1'' Aiming rifle stumps me. It states that the 1'' Cordite rounds had an orange patch and the BP rounds a white patch. I have never seen any reference to these cartridges being patched before. Has any one seen a patched Aiming Rifle round. I would love to see a photo. Regards David.

Early issues of the Electric Mark IV had a thin white paper patch, but it was contained entirely within the case. The Electric Mark V(M) also had a white paper patch that was supposed to be within the case but sometimes a couple of millimetres showed above the neck.

I think all the cordite marks had a copper gas check, but I will check my Kynoch drawings.

Regards
TonyE

I took another look at the 1924 pocket book. It states on page 117:- Identification of SA Cartridges, 1'' Aiming Rifle Cartridges. Cordite filled cartridges have a strip of Orange paper SHOWING round the junction between the bullet and the cylinder. Powder filled cartridges have this paper but it is white. It seems that it was a deliberate attempt to identify the round.

Orange would be the correct colour patch to identify a cordite loaded round, and was used with the cordite loaded Martini rifle rounds (although they often look more yellow in tone). However, intact good condition Aiming Rifle rounds are so hard to find that I have never seen one with any orange patch showing and I cannot find it mantioned in the Lists of Changes.

Regards
TonyE

The 1924 pocket book is the only work that I can find reference to the orange patch. Other handbooks reference the white patch. The official handbooks can get confusing, Martini Henry ammunition in particular. Official documents list White, Blue, Green, Orange and Red, not to mention White striped and Pink striped India patt Patches. I will continue my search for more info. For now thanks for the help Tony. Regards Davd.

Actually, there is nothing confusing or mysterious about the Martini patch colours. They are :

White - Blackpowder rifle, blackpowder carbine (before 1880), Cordite rifle Mark II
Red - Blackpowder carbine Mark III after 1880 and Cordite Carbine Rolled case Mark I ((some references say pink)
Orange -Cordite Mark I for rifles
Blue - Cordite Mark I
Green - Cordite Carbine Mark I
White with black stripes - Indian rolled case Cordite rifle
White with red stripes - Indian Cordite Carbine

I think that's about it but I have probably missed a couple.

Cheers
TonyE