What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this from?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

Yes still cleaning out the closet!

Could someone please "refresh" my memory what this small cluster bomb is from and used for?

I believe at one stage they were quite common in the US - is this still the case?

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN5227.JPG
    DSCN5227.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN5228.JPG
    DSCN5228.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 116
Karinga? Australian item/design?

Update: Pretty sure that's what it is. Type karinga in the search function. Quite a discussion about it.

Last edited:
Hi Slick,

Yep I reckon you are spot on! So my example has the "live fill" RDX red markings (has never been filled by the looks of it!).............

Perhaps they weren't common at all in the US if the Karinga never made it out of the development phase.......must be thinking of another type that I bought years ago out of "Shotgun News"

Ho Hum, another one for the trade/sale bin.

Thanks

cheers
Drew

The Karinga was a Submunition that Australia was looking at bringing into service. They never did. We have the dispenser that was designed to drop them at work as well as the mech time fuse.

The Karinga was a Submunition that Australia was looking at bringing into service. They never did. We have the dispenser that was designed to drop them at work as well as the mech time fuse.

If you check there were 4-5 of the submunitions on the shelf in the storage room as well - at least as of 3-4 years ago.

US Subs, not sure if you are refering to the bomb room at Moorebank. I think we aquired a few more in recent years. However they don't look like the ones that Dronic has. Ours are grey with green bands and stencilling.

Dronic PM sent.

Just got this in the mail. A "motor can and plastic fan end". They do have some funny fans down under.

IMG_0838 (800x326).jpg IMG_0839 (600x800).jpg IMG_0840 (552x800).jpg IMG_0841 (600x800).jpg IMG_0842 (600x800).jpg

As I recall there were at least three color/marking schemes of the submunitions on the shelf at Orchard Hills.

DSC_0069.jpgDSC_0070.jpg