What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very rare grenade from the 11th century

paul the grenade

Hi All.
Heres a very rare grenade i picked up today. it dates from the 11 century and was used in limited numbers at the seige of Antioch in 1097-98
this is probably the only ons still in existance. to use, the cross on top was pulled like a pin and the thrower would count to 3, no more nor no less, for 3 shalt be the number of the counting!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• holy handgrenade.jpg
    holy handgrenade.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 161
I think mine's a copy. Yours is probably an original, considering the England thing and all.

Rick

Wooooowwwww, so that is what it looks like. I have always wanted to see one up close and personal. It must of cost $4.99 as today's "Special Offer" on QVC? I also wonder how many rabid rabbites there were back then?????????

Wooooowwwww, so that is what it looks like. I have always wanted to see one up close and personal. It must of cost $4.99 as today's "Special Offer" on QVC? I also wonder how many rabid rabbites there were back then?????????

Mark

For me, money was no object. It's history; and who can put a price on that?.

Rick

And once you have one, the moment you put it on the shelf you qualify to join another Python Organization - the "Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things"

One of the film props (Monty Python Holy hand grenade) turned up on eBay around 12 years ago. Back when there were typically 100s of WWI-WWII grenades listed on a given day before they banned most ordnance. Money being tight, I couldn't justify investing in a frivolous display item. Kick myself all the time for missing out on it now as it would have been a great focal point for the grenade collection. Seems like it sold for around $75US. Wonder if someone on the forum ended up with it since I know a lot of us competed over similar British, French and German grenade listings back in the day.

The real deal perhaps? Made from a ballcock!

https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/169/lot/47167/

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch from Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones' comedy Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The Holy Hand grenade, a "sacred relic" carried by Brother Maynard (Eric Idle) on the quest for the Holy Grail, was used to defeat the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. To activate the device, the "Book of Armaments" was consulted and its elaborate operating instructions read aloud by Brother Maynard's Brother (Michael Palin)...

"..And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch was always thought to be lost since filming and was subject to much speculation and rumour. It was recently discovered to have been kept by the family of the prop maker who created it.

In the time-honoured tradition of effient prop makers, the grenade was constructed in a very rudimentary way: utilising a ballcock from a toilet cistern, finished in gold-coloured paint. A metal cross, the pin, with most its original jewels still present, sits on top.

Rows of off-white artificial pearls have been strung together to lightly sit against the orb - an addition for display purposes, as the originals were lost after production wrapped. These pearls lift off as a single piece and do not affect any original elements of the weapon. This careful work was done by long-time Python collaborator Valerie Charlton, who served as a special effects model maker on the film. Virtually all the gold paint has worn away over time, but evidence of the original pearls' placement remains, and the pin still retains seven of its original coloured jewels. The hand grenade is presented on a custom-made stand and remains in good production-used condition. Dimensions: 13 cm x 13 cm x 7 cm (5" x 5" x 7")

"O Lord, bless this, thy hand grenade, that with it, thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits."