What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L17A4 Fuze:arming distance?

Mike C

Gents,

I have been told that all fuzes have a 'safety arming distance' after they leave the barrel. I'm trying to find out what distance that might be for an L17A4 fuze, ie how far/long does it take for an L17A4 Fuze to 'arm' after it leaves the barrel? As I read the fuze function data, this fuze 'arms' as soon as it ceases to accelerate, which I take to be as soon as it leaves the muzzle. Is that the case, and if so, what flight distance is that likely to take? I'm looking for specifics here, as I have a case of a 20-pdr HE/T being fired that struck the bund several feet in front of the tank, and detonated. I'm trying to work out if this is the norm or a defective fuze.

Thanks

Mike C

i will see if i have anything on the L17A4 when i get home tonight..
allan

Sorry mike i have only found very limited information which you most likely have seen already,,here it is anyway

allan

Attachments

• Seite0016.jpg
    Seite0016.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Seite019.jpg
    Seite019.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Seite0038.jpg
    Seite0038.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 38
Thanks, Allan, no I had not seen those particular pages before, so very helpful. interesting the L17A5 fuze has improved safety, so maybe the L17A4 was a little eratic in this regard? It would figure given the close proximity of some of the rounds to the barrel when they detonated, the bund incident referred to originally being one of a number that have come to light.

Thanks

Mike C