What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

65mm Artillery Shell

johncdonovan

This past Saturday, January 28, 2012 I picked up what appears to be a 65mm Artillery shell with chrome plated round. I guess one might call the carved shell casing trench art, but it might be post war work. I would like to know if anyone can identify the type and age of this round. The projectile has an 8" circumference, which I calculate to 65mm. The brass shell casing is a bit less than 18" in length (not sure if it has been trimmed), there is a copper collar that is 1" wide and smooth all around, and the exposed portion of the chrome projectile is 5-1/4" long without the tip fuse. The base of the shell casin is 3-7/16" in diameter, and the main body of the shell casing is approximately 3" in diamete4r. There are no markings on the bottom of the shell casing.

Thanks in advance for any information,
John Donovan
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA65mm Shell.jpg

Nice bit of `Trench Art` - not my thing but v well done all the same.
Proj definitely loks like a home made one as drive band appears a lot wider than neck rim.
Does the projectile pull out of case?
Very surprised no Headstamp

I agree that it's a home-made projectile as the steel projectile body appears to be wider than the case neck.