What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can You Name This Cluster Bomb?

Pretty sure that it is Chinese export dispensed from 122mm rockets, but no hard documents to back it up.

Sorry jef didn't see your posting untilo now. But I just posted under Rockets much better photos of the 122 rocket and its similar M42 type submuntions. People on the ground in Lybia are looking for who made them, as they have determined they are not US made (something about how the ribbon unscrewed to arm it is different)

At least three different variants of the M42 have been located there so far, all believed to be of Chinese origin.

1) The marking of the rocket, shown in the image, looks in soviet/russian style.
2) The only similar shape submunitions, seen with the holes in casing, were the Splaw's "birds".

In fact it looks Chinese (even the green tone of the paint job) and the propellant manufacturer code is Chinese too.

Do you have any images of the Splaw's "birds"? I have never heard of them. I would be interested in seeing these items.

Joe

New one (from Tula Exhibition)

Prevous generation subs (with holes) were presented loaded in 9M218 warhead mockup.

Last edited:
Interesting ... they also have long ribbons off the top of them as well (from what you can see).

You can see these in some of the Parade export books/magazines as well.

Does anyone have any more information on these submunitions or other Russian/Soviet ones? That is ones that are delivered by projectiles or rocket.

New one (from Tula Exhibition)

Prevous generation subs (with holes) were presented loaded in 9M218 warhead mockup.

Hi AT041, I'm looking for Splav, Bazalt, NIMI and Zavod Plastmass brochures / marketing material. Do you think you could help me? Thanks.