What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A.A.F.TYPE-S Fuze

Brian Keith

Here is a nice fuze, marked: A.A.F. TYPE-S mfg. by R.& C. M. Co. What is it for? Anybody know who the full maker's name? It fits in my 1945 dated, 3in T13E2 Chemical projectile. It is the same thread size as my US MK IIIA2 fuze. See photo's. Chemical shell is the grey one in the center. I showed the fuze dissembled.
DSC_0013.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0009.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

Brian, Looks to be a 20 second powder train time fuze. Other than that, never seen one before. Nice, though. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Hello Brian,

You have a WWI era U.S. Anti-aircraft time fuze, Mark II, type "S" with the pointed type closing cap. They were manufactured with two types of closing caps, the pointed type like yours and the pagoda type (see photograph). These fuzes were used on 3-inch anti-aircraft ammunition. I've included photographs of the HE & shrapnel projectiles. These fuzes are relatively rare today and you certainly have a beautiful specimen, congratulations! On the 1918 listing of U.S. fuzes I've included, you can see the Anti-aircraft Mark II fuze toward the bottom of the listing.

Best regards,

Randal
lP1010009.JPGP1010010.jpgP1010005.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010006.jpgP1010008.jpgP1010009.JPG

Bruce, Thanks for yor coments, Randal, you really loaded me with information! Thanks! Glad you guys enjoyed seeing it. I had done some internet research, but couldn't find it. It does have the date, "1918", that I thought was a serial or lot number. I really surprized it is WW I era.
BKW