What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MK 11, MK XII Fuses

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Here are some more fuzes that I'd like to get more information on. From what I gather (again) it that they could have been used on anything from the 1 Pdr, 3 Pdr, 6 Pdr or 3" Common. All have been thermally treated and the igniter cups are gone. From l-r is the MK XII, MK 11 MOD 1, and the MK 11 MOD 9. The markings on the MK XII are light. Another example that I had has a clearer MK before the XII. The manufacture is F.L.S. (?). Any info would be appreciated. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Attachments

• P2111048.jpg
    P2111048.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P2111045.jpg
    P2111045.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P2111046.jpg
    P2111046.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 29
  • P2111047.jpg
    P2111047.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm hoping that Bob Mellichamp would be coming out with his Vol 2 37mm book soon. Thanks for all that you've helped with. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

I'll check what I've got and see, but no promises. Bob should be at the SLICS show, hopefully to roll out the next book - I'll arrive on Tuesday and depart on Sat, anybody else going?

Haven't found anything yet, do you have anything on the years fielded?

Subs, The manufacture dates on them are 1917. Could be used in the 1,3,&6 Pdrs and the 3", all Common Shells, at least that's what I get from the plates in the OP 4, 1943. Thanks, Bruce.

As you mention OP 4 (May 43) has some good plates on the projos, but nothing on the fuzes. I pulled The Textbook on Naval Ordnance 1915, which has similar fuzes, but different names. The Textbook on Naval Ordnance 1939 is almost an exact copy of 1915, but with nearly no information on fuzes. I've also checked my other OPs, Naval Ordnance and Gunnery (Sep 50), Naval Ordnance Activities 1917-1918 (1920) and US Navy Bureau of Ordnance in WWII, all with the same results. I'll try my digital references later, but out of time for now.

Information regarding the different WWI era "pounder" base detonating fuzes is difficult to find. I've included photographs of a MK II MOD I and MK 2 MOD 9 BD fuze, but they both still don't exactly match Bruces.

Best regards,

Randall

lpg125-1.jpg87-0001ac6ffc.jpg88-9019bfad6d.jpg

Thanks, Randall. That the closest so far with the MK 2 Mod 9. What pub does this come out of? Thanks again, Bruce.

Last edited:
Thanks, Randall. Just looked at my copy (here I was thinking it would only be in WWI pubs) and found it. Now, as I discussed with Jeff, could the nomenclature on the MK 11 Mod 9 actually be MK II Mod 9, a mix of Roman and Arabic? The wrench in the gears for that would be the last fuze, the MK XII. As I had stated, mine doesn't show the MK in front of the XII, and the only example that I had with the MK was sent away, but they definitely are MK XII, which might lend credence to the MK 11. Maybe. Keeps getting more confusinger and my poor head aches!! Thanks all for the input. Bruce.

The MKl & Mkll - Baldwin and Cartwright are Army fuzes used in the MKl Steel shell for the 1916 gun. The MKll Mod 9 as shown is certainly Navy as the example has a known Navel inspectors initials and the Navy Anchor - so no doubt, the MKll next to it also has this. One seems to be Xll so MK12 ? They all look the same externally so the changes were internal.

Attachments

• Army  1Pr fuzes.jpg
    Army 1Pr fuzes.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • 1916 gun fuzes 2.jpg
    1916 gun fuzes 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: