What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pounder 40 X 275RB AA case

Sorry Q, I have just noticed that I sent the 1942 shell diagram; it should of course been 1943 or later. Herewith:

View attachment scan4313.pdf

I have PM'd because you will need a couple of extra drawings describing the driving bands.

This is for Q essentially but it might attract interest from others:DD(L)17877 Shell QF HE SL 2Pr HV.jpg

Thank you Quatermass for posting your case and thank you Guys for posting your drawings. I have two projectiles I have been trying tofigure out what they are and what cases they go in. I only need two cases andtwo fuzes now. I doubt these will ever be completed but, now I know what tolook for………………………..

2 Pdr (1).jpg
2 Pdr (2).jpg

Last edited:
You chaps should get together on this, two projectiles , one case without--- sounds like a potential deal to me ---- I hope to see a complete one soon. If the fuze is the same as the regular ww2 Bofors or maybe the the 6pdr AA then it's not hopeless on that end of thing.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Hi imaokie2000, whats the measurement between the cannelure and the driving band of your projectile?
I wonder.....

Hi imaokie2000, whats the measurement between the cannelure and the driving band of your projectile?
I wonder.....
I'm sorry Quatermass, I somehow lost track of this post.

Both projectiles are aprox 17.27mm (0.68") from the center of the cannelure to the bottom of the driving band and 132.39mm (5.215") total length. As near as I can tell, the thread size for the fuzes are 28x1.5mm or maybe 1-1/8"-16tpi. It's hell when you go blind.

I've decided to get a replica of the complete round made (machined from solid aluminium alloy, courtesy of Mick Wilkinson). I'm thinking of using the original projectile posted, simply because it's complete with fuze, and seems to be close enough to give a realistic impression of what the round would have looked like (which is what interests me).

I have some questions about the projectile colours:

1. Would the Fuze No.251 be of brass, or light alloy, or painted?

2. I presume that the shell body would be yellow, but since it had a tracer/self-destruct igniter, it would have at least one coloured band; can anyone provide any idea of what colour bands would be applied, where they would be and about how wide?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Coincidently I was just trying to find some more information. The minute of the Navy meeting that seems to kick this off talks about getting a better performance than the "present 40mm Bofors", a higher velocity and higher rate of fire are both mentioned.

I'll see what else I can find.

Did you get any further with this? Anything about the intended rate of fire of the gun?