What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown possible projectile

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
I'm working on getting more info, including dimensions so for now all I have to go on is the photo. The badge in front of the item gives some basis of the size.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• Unknown Projo.jpg
    Unknown Projo.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 117
It is shaped like the 914mm Little David Mortar, but way too small for that. Maybe it is an aerodynamic subcaliber test projectile for that system. The 914mm is right at 36 inches in diameter, and your unknown looks to be about 12 inches or 1/3 scale for the Little David.

Attachments

• 914mm little david mortar.jpg
    914mm little david mortar.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 914mm Little David mortar 2.jpg
    914mm Little David mortar 2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
It is shaped like the 914mm Little David Mortar, but way too small for that. Maybe it is an aerodynamic subcaliber test projectile for that system. The 914mm is right at 36 inches in diameter, and your unknown looks to be about 12 inches or 1/3 scale for the Little David.[/QUOTE

Hi Hazord,

just can you tell something more about this "Little David" mortar ?

Yoda

There is a pretty good write-up on the entire series in a book done in I think 1947. I can scan and post later. The US needed heavier mortars as they were island hopping toward Japan and so rushed development on an entire series - 105mm, 155mm, 250mm and the 36-inch (914mm). You can see the two variants of the 914mm in Hazord's photos, held at the now defunct Aberdeen Museum. Initially all of the smaller sizes used the M4 Rocket fuze, but I have a later variation of the 155mm that took a smaller diameter fuze, probably the T77. All went away after the war, though the US continued to try different models of 105mm mortars through the 1950s.

The only thing I have a decent photo of at the moment is the 105mm, I can shoot the 150s and dig out a photo of the 250 later if anyone is interested.

DSCN1843a.jpg

Last edited:
HAZORD, I originally thought the Little David too when they initially talked to me about it but then when I saw the size I ruled it out. There are/were 2 of them at Picatinny so I was familiar with the system.

I've requested more info and measurements from the originator but I have not heard back yet. I'll update when I get more.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread

But I found this :
36x~97 inches projectile for Little David mortar, weight ~1,92 tons, with ~0,75 tons for the bursting charge
Range is 10000 yd. at 45°

Image17.jpg

in that book :

Image18.jpg

Cheers,

S.