What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Princess Mary Tin - Pencil Cartridge

MissingSomething

Ok, so I was cleaning some brass that I got out of an estate and found this....
IMG_20120315_231744.jpg

"M" under crown

IMG_20120315_231852.jpg

KN 14
VII
IMG_20120315_231911.jpg

"Sterling Silver" on bullet.
No pencil and I found the "silver bullet" part stuck in the case.
Were all the casings for the pencils "engraved" with the "M"? This is the first one I have come across. Were they all King Nortons cases?
Thanks

I replied to this on the IAA thread, but for those who do not visit there here it is again.

Yes, all the pencils had the engraved monogram on the shoulder. However, apparently only the Royal Navy, being the senior service, received pencils with the sterling silver bullet envelopes. The army ones had a normal CN envelope.

Almost any make of contemporary .303 case can be found, including some from the Dominions.

Regards
TonyE

I have the one issued to my Grandfather, also with the sterling envelope, and I can assure you he was not Royal Navy. He started with the Cdn 11th Bn, then transferred to The Canadian Ordnance Corps as an articifer.

Very interesting to see the Sterling 'bullet', not heard about those before, my guess would be that it was more likely to have been produced for Officers. I was delighted to pick one of these up years ago a fantastic and poignant curio. My version is just the 'other ranks' version, made from a Birmingham Metal and Munitions Co.Ltd fired round.

303 pencil [3].jpg303 pencil [2].jpg303 pencil [1].jpg

I just found two of these in a box of militaria junk. Both tarnished but original. Clear 'M' on case and plain metal caps (not silver). I have no use for them so was going to sell them but wanted to find out a bit more first.
I don't know the makers of the cases but the first is a little worn marked "C A O" and "C VI"
The second one is a little cleaner showing "R [crows foot] L 10" and "VI"