What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caliber dilema

Nabob

Ordnance approved
Hallo,
I am looking for some rule in calibre designation of UK guns.
Is there a way to distinguish why it is a 3inch or 17pdr or 76mm gun?
If there is a thread on this forum or info somewhere else please let me know.
If the rule is more complicated than cricket rules I give up :tinysmile_grin_t:

Thanks, Bob

I can't say I am aware of any rule as far as the Army was concerned. During the same period, the following new field artillery pieces were developed: the 25-pr, the 95mm and the 4.5inch/5.5inch pair. The 17-pr and the 77mm tank guns were also developed during WW2, as was the 3.7 inch AA gun.

AFAIK the RAF used metric for anything of 20mm and above, and the RN used inches for everything above 3 inch, with pounder measurements for all of the smaller stuff from 12-pr (76.2mm) down to 2-pr (40mm - except for the Bofors, but that was bought-in).

I can't say I am aware of any rule as far as the Army was concerned. During the same period, the following new field artillery pieces were developed: the 25-pr, the 95mm and the 4.5inch/5.5inch pair. The 17-pr and the 77mm tank guns were also developed during WW2, as was the 3.7 inch AA gun.

AFAIK the RAF used metric for anything of 20mm and above, and the RN used inches for everything above 3 inch, with pounder measurements for all of the smaller stuff from 12-pr (76.2mm) down to 2-pr (40mm - except for the Bofors, but that was bought-in).

So yes Bob, more complicated than cricket!!