What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replica question

navyman

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me if a genuine Thompson Drum Magazine will fit on my replica 1928 ? This is a filler untill I can afford a real, (deac), for the collection.
Many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• Thompson 3.jpg
    Thompson 3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Thompson 4.jpg
    Thompson 4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 46
Navyman

Hard to tell in the picture of your example, but if there is a horizontal groove near the top rear of the mag well, then the drum mag should slide right in. It depends on how accurate the replicators were in crafting what looks to be a very fine specimen.

Rick

This looks like the slot. It slides in from the side vs from the bottom like the sick mag.

thompson drum mag.jpg
Thompson replica.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice replica compared to some I've seen. How much does one of these go for? I know I have seen current spec deac Thompsons for a few hundred, but these were wartime versions.

I had one of those Japanese made replicas of the M1923 many years ago & then got a genuine one . The mags , stock & other parts interchanged PERFECTLY . I think the maker was Japanese Toy Company or similar . The weapon was made of zinc alloy & was indistinguishable from the real thing .

Thank you all for the info.
I paid 160.00 for the replica from an advert on Gunstar and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. It's made in Spain of what I guess is a zinc alloy, also cocks and dry fires. I can see the two slots which go all the way through the receiver. I expect a drum mag will cost more than the replica but if it fits will be handy when I'm able to get a proper deac.
Thanks again,
navyman.

Attachments

• Thompson.jpg
    Thompson.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 15
hi its a hard one to call on the replica ? my deactivated thompson took the drum mag because the full bolt mech cocked back .. but getting one is expensive the drums can go from 170 poor con to 250 mint sometimes more for rarer versions
if your getting a drum mag be careful my freind paid 170 and it was in very poor state the photos that were advertised were not of the mag he bought from a dealer ...naughty ..!! he sent it back ....
i just sold my mint thompson with 5 mags and 30 inert .45 acp for 350 bargian as the whole bolt moved leaving an open ejector port and breach area . metal and wood were A1 . i miss it already

cheers ken

Hello Ken,
That looks very good indeed, I would have been more than happy to pay the 350 for an example like that. Ah well I'll just keep on hunting!
Cheers,
navyman.

Hi again Navyman keep an eye on ryton arms they had a load of drum mags before mint condition at a great price , i dont collect deacts anymore but bought quite a few from them in the past really nice condition depends what you want though old spec thompsons are expensive and the brand new spec deacts are completly welded up , some may have a moving cocking handle but welded bolt . in either case you need to make sure the bolt has been milled or a drum mag wont fit . old spec not a problem . i have noticed the prices are going through the roof . good luck with the search if i come across anything i will PM you . i sold mine on gunstar but it was only on for 2 mins and gone ... you'll get the right one . took me a while with alot of the deacts i had . cos i'm really fussy on condition lol mind you some have said i am good at restoration work , i did do work on my thompson , well worth it ... had all the little knocks steamed out of the wood and then polished , and re-blued the barrel .

cheers ken