What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bovington Tank Museum

SG500

Premium Member
I went on a trip to the Bovington Tank Museum yesterday which happened to cooincide with the Tiger day when they got the Tiger 1 tank out and put it through its paces in the arena. What a privalage to see it working and driving past only a few feet away!
http://www.tankmuseum.org/

I took a few photos, they don't really do the day justice so you'll just have to go there if you can make it. They really have got the most awesome display of AFV's.

Tiger photos.

IMG_1246.jpgIMG_1251.jpgIMG_1249.jpg

Little Willie constructed in 1915

IMG_1206.jpg

Tiger 2

IMG_1149.jpg

Jadtiger with its 128mm gun

IMG_1164.jpg

Can't remember what this one is but its in all the tank books.

IMG_1169.jpgIMG_1168.jpg

17 pounder defeated by armour plate

IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1189.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

More to follow...................

A selection of tank barrels numbered from 1-10, I've photographed the sign too which explains which is which.
The photo of the inside was of the biggest one!

IMG_1212.jpgIMG_1209.jpgIMG_1253.jpg

Various photographs of 40mm littlejohn attachments.

IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1159.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 29
You Brits should be proud of your museums. Some of the finest in the world.

Rick

Hi Thanks for the pictures, I believe you attended Tiger day at Bovington, there is another in September that I as able to get tickets to, although i believe its all sold out now.

The barrel below the Jagdtiger is used to fire the 38cm Raketenwerfer 61, as used in the SturmTiger ....which would be best described as self propelled rocket launcher on Tiger I chassis - there are quite a few videos on youtube, if you search for Sturmtiger.

If anyone has a 38cm Rocket knocking around, possibly as a door step etc, please let me know and ill happily swap if for some wodges of cash

Bovington is an awesome museum, thanks for the pictures

Cheers
Rich

Hi Thanks for the pictures, I believe you attended Tiger day at Bovington, there is another in September that I as able to get tickets to, although i believe its all sold out now.

The barrel below the Jagdtiger is used to fire the 38cm Raketenwerfer 61, as used in the SturmTiger ....which would be best described as self propelled rocket launcher on Tiger I chassis - there are quite a few videos on youtube, if you search for Sturmtiger.

If anyone has a 38cm Rocket knocking around, possibly as a door step etc, please let me know and ill happily swap if for some wodges of cash

Bovington is an awesome museum, thanks for the pictures

Cheers
Rich

Thanks for the info on the 38cm Rich.
Just to clarify, the Tiger day yesterday was easy to get tickets for, we just showed up on the day, paid for entry to the museum and the display was held at 1.30pm in the arena. What did sell out were the premium tickets. Presumably these were more and if you were one of the lucky people (100 I think) you got a closer inspection/tour of the Tiger.
Seeing it drive past within a few feet was good enough for me, it certainly makes you realise how intimidating it would be on the battlefield.
Dave

A few more shots of the 38cm rocket launcher and one of the Tiger on a day out a couple of years back.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC05819.jpg
    DSC05819.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC05818.jpg
    DSC05818.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC05817.jpg
    DSC05817.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC09078.jpg
    DSC09078.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 25
And the Australian Sentinel, a tank with attitude. Only the Aussies could come up with such protection for the hull MG...

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC05827.jpg
    DSC05827.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05828.jpg
    DSC05828.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05826.jpg
    DSC05826.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi guys

It wasn't a special tiger event day as such unlike there proper tiger days, it was them giving the tiger it's first test run since it's overhall. Getting it ready for there tank fest event later in the year think its June some time but could be wrong.

You didn't need any special tickets for they day, just normal museum entry and if you had been in before and declared gift aid you can return to the museum free of charge as many times as you like for a year Which I do all the time as it's just down the road from me.
But unfortunatly I couldn't make saturday as I had to help my Gf dad fit his new kitchen grrrrrrr.

From bazooka chris

SPOTTER !!!!!!!!

what have you done to my Avater you (beeeeep) I know it's you as you got my primary school pic off my facebook a mate of mine had posted I will get you back lol.
trouble is I am posting this with my mobile phone, and won't be able to fire up the laptop to change it back until after work tomorrow you got me like a good'n.
I want my kermit the frog with the ak47 avatar back lol

from bazooka chris

Right I have removed the spotter replacement avatar until I can sort it out after work as can't upload from my mobile.
Any forum members got any embarrasing pics of spotter please feel free to send them to me as I feel a new avatar coming on hehe

from bazooka chris

Hi RichardB, we got one lying around, but I think we keep it ourself.

Attachments

• 38 cm.jpg
    38 cm.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 61
It was a nice weekend, had fun at the museum, special when they started the Tiger, was nice to meet Dave, regards Ben

I gather you are referring to the Mk 1 (A41)?

If so, unfortunately not as I was more focus on the "dark side" armor................

Here is one shot of Mk1 from the Museum:

From memory one of our forum members works there? Perhaps you could organise with them for photos.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMAG3723.jpg
    IMAG3723.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG3714.jpg
    IMAG3714.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG3716.jpg
    IMAG3716.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG3862.jpg
    IMAG3862.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG3756.jpg
    IMAG3756.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG3798.jpg
    IMAG3798.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG3799.jpg
    IMAG3799.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 13
I have 1000's of photos from Bovington it's very worth while a visit.... they now also have the German Elefant Tank destroyer there on loan, and have set up an exhibit of tigers including Tiger I (131) Tiger II Henschel turret, Tiger II wit Porsche Turret (shot trap), Jadgtiger, and of course the Elefant, based on the Tiger I Vk4501 chassis.

I urge anyone to visit as this is only the tip of an amazing place.
....and yes we do have a memeber that works (and plays) hard to keep these rare pieces of history running or in tip top condition

IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2523.jpg IMG_2525.jpg

I believe this is a Mark 3, so not exactly what you're looking for. BUT, it is a major feat of engineering cutting in half like that. And may even provide reference to the differences after the prototype design was tweaked.

Thank you gentlemen, it is many decades since I visited Bovington. The trouble is that it's too far for a day trip, so I would have to find some reason for staying in that part of the country...

Thank you gentlemen, it is many decades since I visited Bovington. The trouble is that it's too far for a day trip, so I would have to find some reason for staying in that part of the country...

If you are looking for a reason,they do sell proper beer in the pubs in that neck of the woods :bigsmile:

Apart from the Tigers etc, one of the many other attractions was this 1920 armoured car - now that's a "Rolls-Royce"!!!

Cheers
Drew

BTW - Yep the local beers were great (not too warm either!!! Hahaha)

Attachments

• IMAG3871.jpg
    IMAG3871.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG3870.jpg
    IMAG3870.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG3869.jpg
    IMAG3869.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG3829.jpg
    IMAG3829.jpg