Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 644 Posts

Bovington Tank Museum

I went on a trip to the Bovington Tank Museum yesterday which happened to cooincide with the Tiger day when they got the Tiger 1 tank out and put it through its paces in the arena. What a privalage to see it working and driving past only a few feet away!
    http://www.tankmuseum.org/

I took a few photos, they don't really do the day justice so you'll just have to go there if you can make it. They really have got the most awesome display of AFV's.

Tiger photos.

IMG_1246.jpgIMG_1251.jpgIMG_1249.jpg

Little Willie constructed in 1915

IMG_1206.jpg

Tiger 2

IMG_1149.jpg

Jadtiger with its 128mm gun

IMG_1164.jpg

Can't remember what this one is but its in all the tank books.

IMG_1169.jpgIMG_1168.jpg

17 pounder defeated by armour plate

IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1189.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

More to follow...................

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (1st April 2012), paul the grenade (1st April 2012), proditto (11th January 2017), RichardB (1st April 2012), sudelmuk (1st April 2012)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    A selection of tank barrels numbered from 1-10, I've photographed the sign too which explains which is which.
    The photo of the inside was of the biggest one!

IMG_1212.jpgIMG_1209.jpgIMG_1253.jpg

Various photographs of 40mm littlejohn attachments.

IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1159.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (1st April 2012), beihan62 (1st April 2012), proditto (11th January 2017), RichardB (1st April 2012), smle2009 (1st April 2012), Weasel (1st April 2012)

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    I love Bovington tank museum. Probably my favorite museum.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 489 Posts
    You Brits should be proud of your museums. Some of the finest in the world.

Rick
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (1st April 2012), pointblank0 (1st April 2012)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Thanks for the pictures, I believe you attended Tiger day at Bovington, there is another in September that I as able to get tickets to, although i believe its all sold out now.

The barrel below the Jagdtiger is used to fire the 38cm Raketenwerfer 61, as used in the SturmTiger ....which would be best described as self propelled rocket launcher on Tiger I chassis - there are quite a few videos on youtube, if you search for Sturmtiger.

If anyone has a 38cm Rocket knocking around, possibly as a door step etc, please let me know and ill happily swap if for some wodges of cash

Bovington is an awesome museum, thanks for the pictures

Cheers
    Rich

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Hi Thanks for the pictures, I believe you attended Tiger day at Bovington, there is another in September that I as able to get tickets to, although i believe its all sold out now.

The barrel below the Jagdtiger is used to fire the 38cm Raketenwerfer 61, as used in the SturmTiger ....which would be best described as self propelled rocket launcher on Tiger I chassis - there are quite a few videos on youtube, if you search for Sturmtiger.

If anyone has a 38cm Rocket knocking around, possibly as a door step etc, please let me know and ill happily swap if for some wodges of cash

Bovington is an awesome museum, thanks for the pictures

Cheers
    Rich
    Thanks for the info on the 38cm Rich.
    Just to clarify, the Tiger day yesterday was easy to get tickets for, we just showed up on the day, paid for entry to the museum and the display was held at 1.30pm in the arena. What did sell out were the premium tickets. Presumably these were more and if you were one of the lucky people (100 I think) you got a closer inspection/tour of the Tiger.
    Seeing it drive past within a few feet was good enough for me, it certainly makes you realise how intimidating it would be on the battlefield.
    Dave

Premium Member
    Thanks
    A few more shots of the 38cm rocket launcher and one of the Tiger on a day out a couple of years back.

Tom.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    And the Australian Sentinel, a tank with attitude. Only the Aussies could come up with such protection for the hull MG...

Tom.
    Last edited by Snufkin; 1st April 2012 at 11:23 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snufkin For This Useful Post:

SG500 (2nd April 2012)

Thanks
    Hi guys

It wasn't a special tiger event day as such unlike there proper tiger days, it was them giving the tiger it's first test run since it's overhall. Getting it ready for there tank fest event later in the year think its June some time but could be wrong.

You didn't need any special tickets for they day, just normal museum entry and if you had been in before and declared gift aid you can return to the museum free of charge as many times as you like for a year Which I do all the time as it's just down the road from me.
    But unfortunatly I couldn't make saturday as I had to help my Gf dad fit his new kitchen grrrrrrr.

From bazooka chris

Thanks
    SPOTTER !!!!!!!!

what have you done to my Avater you (beeeeep) I know it's you as you got my primary school pic off my facebook a mate of mine had posted I will get you back lol.
    trouble is I am posting this with my mobile phone, and won't be able to fire up the laptop to change it back until after work tomorrow you got me like a good'n.
    I want my kermit the frog with the ak47 avatar back lol

from bazooka chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast