What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Six and a bit years of collecting

RichardB

Premium Member
Hi All,

As a kid, I was lucky enough to go to a school that had a rifle range in its grounds, and while I don't remember who was actually allowed to use it (I wasn't) I do remember I managed to collect some 30 or so Eley Rim-Fire .22 case. Some 25 years later and now Six years ago today, while living in the US, I bought a fired British 6PDR AP dated 1942 from eBay which was delivered to to the UK and stored under a bed. A few months later I returned home to the UK, and continued collecting.

My primary interest was, and still remains, WW2 armour piercing tanks/anti-tank rounds.
So for those that are interested here's a picture of my British WW2 AP Tank rounds as they stand today.

British AP Rounds APR12-800.jpg

Ill not describe what they are, but I hope you like them

Cheers
Rich

Lovely family photo Rich, you've done well there.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Rich,

Very impressive collection! Hey, have you tried to find the AP projectile for the 3.7 inch gun, or is that not considered AT?

Hi Hazord

Actually, the truth is, I hadn't even considered it... Although my original collection was .22 rimfire, my real interest is WW2 Tanks/AFVs and although I've strayed somewhat into rockets (AFVs), I havent strayed from WW2 tank and anti-tank rounds from any nationality and vehemently kept away from anti aircraft and Naval rounds (to keep some kind of control on spending :)))

You have got me thinking however, as I do have quite a few German 8,8cm, 10,5cm and 12,8cm AP rounds for "AA" guns whe used in AT / defensive roles, as they did toward the end of the war... So why don't I have the British equivalent ???

Hmmm interesting point .... Does anyone have a spare 3,7inch AP projectile for sale ?? :)))

Cheers Rich

Really nice picture Richard. I bet that took a bit of work carrying them about to take the picture.
It looks like you still need the capped 2 pounder.

Is the German collection bigger?

PC

Hi PC
Well that photo deliberately didn't include any HE rounds as they're not strictly AT, so you can probably add another 5-6 rounds to that... (always looking for more british HE)

... As for The German rounds its about the same size possibly a bit bigger, but they use more calibres and I've focused on trying to get decent cases. Perhaps I'll drag them all down stairs for a photoshoot this weekend :)

Good to hear from you, haven't spoken in a while

Cheers
rich

Thank you Richard. I just don't have the same time to spend on the collection, but I am also spending more time looking for more obscure items for the 3.7cm Pak.

I only have two 2Pdr AP's.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 95
They're beautiful 2pdr's, despite focussing on British rounds, i still struggle to find nice original paint rounds. Welldone, they're nice projectiles

I do have one curious 3,7cm round I was going to include in a show your 37mm round, but based on the 47mm equivalent I might go have a nice cigar instead :)

Cheers rich

Hi Rich,
Really nice to see it all together like that, a great collection indeed to have put together in six years. Thank for taking the time to photograph it and letting us see it, there are some fantastic rounds in there, i love the patina on the 6pr 7cwt APDS case it takes a long time to get it like that. I too would like to see a pic of the German rounds together if and when you have a chance to do so. I wish i could be as strict on my collecting parameters as you are, well i try but you always end up seeing something that you really have to have.
Best regards Weasel.

A truely superb collection you have there Rich, not my area but appreciate quality when I see it.
Just shows what six years of serious collecting can achieve.
I cant wait to see the German rounds together!!!

regards Kev

Well for those that have asked, here are my German WW2 rounds as they stand this Easter. Its not a huge collection compared to others, but I've tried to pick up decent examples where I can.
I do have another 12,8cm Flak 40 round, but as the case isn't great, plus the risk of bursting blood vessels I decided to leave where it was.

I'm always looking for more, so please PM me if you're looking to sell/swap.

Here they are....

German Rounds APR12-800.jpg

I will also add, all disassemble completely, and are completely inert along with fuzes and primers.
Hope you enjoy

Cheers
Rich

Stunning Rich, thank you for showing them. One more to add to that set when i next see you.
Best Weasel.

Eeeee, I've seen better :)

Just kidding, this is impressive Richard, really impressive!
But where is all the soviet cool stuff? 45, 57, 76,2, 85, 100,122 and 152mm :)