Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC)

Just returned from a short work related trip to Cambodia.
    Whilst out there, we were lucky to be able to visit the CMAC in Phnom Penh, below is a selection of the items they deal with on a daily basis.

Vietnamese propaganda mortars.jpgRecoiless.jpgSubmunitions compressed.jpgVarious.jpgCompressed image.jpgDSCF1035.jpgDSCF1029.jpg

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peteblight For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (9th April 2012), Fragman (29th October 2012), pointblank0 (27th October 2012), Richard709 (9th April 2012), spotter (9th April 2012), V40 (11th April 2012), Weasel (27th October 2012)

Thanks
    Hallo,
    can anyone explain to me what the 3 items right beside the RPG 2 rounds in the 4th photo above are ?
    Regrds,
    Bellifortis.

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They are Vietnamese made B-40 grenades for the RPG-2. The are made of US BLU-24 series bomblets
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blu97 For This Useful Post:

Bellifortis (28th October 2012)

Thanks
    Good evening blu97,
    thank you very much for your answer. Meanwhile I searched through the posts here on the network and also on the net about descriptions of the BLU-24, but I could not find a description of the fuze. It must have been quite easy to unscrew the fuze and there must have been huge amounts of duds available to make it worhwhile for the Viatnamese to produce this adaption in local factories. I think they were in beginning made from duds, leftovers in dumps were only available towards the end of the war. What type of fuze did the viatnamese fix to this RPG-2 AP adaption and how were the bombletbodies fastened to the RPG-2 body ? Thanks in advance for your consideration,
    Regards,
    Bellifortis.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Shown are the appearance and approximate dimensions of the Vietnamese modified PG-2 grenadese.

They are high-explosive fragmentation (HE-frag) grenade that can be used with either the U.S.S.R. M-6 point-detonating fuze , the Chinese MP-1 series fuzes, the OG-1M fuze, DK-2M, 42M, or C1M fuzes, depending on which model, where theyw ere made or who made them.

The grenade is painted green. A variation in the round has an unpainted off-white adapter, or reddish brown and yellow. The stabilizer assembly is olive drab with black markings. The fuze found with the grenade is light reddish-brown and has the following marking stamped on it: 60G-1M-08

The adapter can be either plastic or metal. The body is a modified U.S. BLU66 submunition that has had the fuze removed. It is probable that an added explosive charge fills the void left by the fuze. The stabilizer assembly is the same unit found on the U.S.S.R. PG-2 grenade .VN modified grenades 2.jpgVN modified PG-2 grenades.jpg
    any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by EOD personell

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Shown are the appearance and approximate dimensions of the Vietnamese modified PG-2 grenadese.

They are high-explosive fragmentation (HE-frag) grenade that can be used with either the U.S.S.R. M-6 point-detonating fuze , the Chinese MP-1 series fuzes, the OG-1M fuze, DK-2M, 42M, or C1M fuzes, depending on which model, where theyw ere made or who made them.

The grenade is painted green. A variation in the round has an unpainted off-white adapter, or reddish brown and yellow. The stabilizer assembly is olive drab with black markings. The fuze found with the grenade is light reddish-brown and has the following marking stamped on it: 60G-1M-08

The adapter can be either plastic or metal. The body is a modified U.S. BLU66 submunition that has had the fuze removed. It is probable that an added explosive charge fills the void left by the fuze. The stabilizer assembly is the same unit found on the U.S.S.R. PG-2 grenade .

Sorry amde the mistake again when I cut and post,
    any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by EOD personell

Thanks
    Thank you for your kind explanatory answer and the descriptive pictures. That clears the issue of the Fuze, but how is the round steel body of the Frag-Bomblet fastened to the sheet metal RPG-2 hollow base. I don't think that you could weld a live bomblet. Spotwelding may be, but I don't think that that would hold up to the lateral forces. In the one photo one can discern a narrow sheetmetal ring, but then there has to be some unseen massive round fixture inside that is somehow fastened to the bomblet. Any ideas ?
    Greetings,
    Bellifortis.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 650 Posts
    The "Locals" also used the BLU-24/BLU-66 bomblets to make stake mines, holding them above ground with a pronged fork type stake made out of metal.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 650 Posts
    I was surprised to see the Russian submunitions in the photos. I had no idea that they managed to find their way into that area.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Here's some more pictures of the items they had on display.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast