What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLICS finds

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I thought I would post a few of my finds from SLICS this year.

First id a very nice packet of Canadian drill rounds, labelled "DRILL .303 INCH D.MARK VII L.P.". containing a mix of rounds headstamped "19 DAC 22 VII" and 1923.

Finding these was something of a revelation as this is the first packet label I have seen for these rounds. Until now, these had been thought to be a Canadian version of the D Mark VI and I did not know that there was a Local Pattern of the D Mark VII. Considering the dates on the headstamps and that the D mark VII was not approved until 1932 for naval service and later for land service, it is not surprising these have been misidentified. Also, it means i have to make changes to my .303 headstamp book, but I did say it was a work in progress.

Incidentally, it is another label number, H290, to add to the list.

As you know, British military .22 inch rounds are a bit of a favourite of mine, so I was pleased to get this Mark I by Kynoch with a nice military headstamp of "I K".

Then there are the two Chinese rounds. Not something I actually collect but interesting none the less. Both are from key chains, but the loop is easily removed. The 5.8x42mm rifle round is headstamped "61 10" whilst the 5.8x21 pistol round is "74 10".

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Drill VII LP.jpg
    Drill VII LP.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DVII LP.jpg
    DVII LP.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 49
  • K Mk.I.jpg
    K Mk.I.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Chinese 5.8x42.jpg
    Chinese 5.8x42.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Chinese 5.8x21.jpg
    Chinese 5.8x21.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 46
Yep, I sold you the duff copy because I knew you would never know!

That's my pay-back for buying the .280 proof at the SLICS auction!

Cheers
tony

TonyE,
I don't want to be a wowser, but the second 'I' on the VII on the Drill bundle appears to be a handwritten 'I'. Re the H.290 Label, somewhere in my collecting and drawing of bundles I have the H.290 as the Drill Mk VI without the L P in the printing and the note that the style was British but apparently with the same early 1920's headstamps.
Les

I have 2 bundles, both of which i picked up at Capital Iron in Victoria BC in the mid '80s. One is buff coloured and one is pink but the text is exactly the same as Tony's, down to the hand written "I" making Mk VII from Mk VI. My buff bundle contains rounds dated 1916 and 1917, one of the headstamps is 19 DAC 17 GP-8. The pink bundle is unopened!
Hangarman

You are of course absolutely right, I had not noticed the second "1" was hand written!

So what is your theory? Are these in fact D Mark VII Local Pattern rounds that utilised old Mark VI labels hand amended, or was the nomenclature changed? My packet is unopened in the sense that it still has the original twine etc., but the rims have cut through the paper at the end so it is possible to see a couple of headstamps.

I have seen these drill rounds before based on old GP-B cases for the Gaudet round.

Whatever the explanation I was pleased to get it. I think I will put it on the IAA forum and see if any of the Canadian collectors respond.

Regards
Tony

Did you need it too? You never mentioned it. I feel we don't communicate anymore. Hold me?

Thanks, Jonny but I do have it. I also have the proof round with the small red tip headstamped "RG 51 280/30" which has the CNCS Belgian Mauser bullet of the 7mm Ball Mark 1z round.

Cheers
TonyE

No problem, I will try to do it over the weekend and put it up on here.

Cheers
TonyE

Glad to see the virtual hug brought you two back together. I get so upset when people fight. Mainly 'cause I lose money on a bet, but, still.

Jonny, Tony and others.

Here is my list of British 7mm rounds, including:
.280/30
7mm 1st Optimum
7mm 2nd Optimum
7mm H.V.
7mm Compromise

In addition to those I also have a .270 ball, headstamped "K48 270" with purple annulus.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• british 7mm list.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 38