What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mk82 snakeye

MAU is the prefix on the fins used by the Navy and Marines. The photos I posted in the referenced post, showing the Halo fuze spinner on the rear of the snakeye fins shows the fuze on an old set of fins. I haven't looked for a date on the fins, but I got them around 1990 and I would estimate they were manufactured in the late 60's up to mid 70's (for Vietnam). This particular design of snakeye fin had a shock absorber installed around the central core. The shock absorber is a thin aluminum tube, with a thin fiberglass wrap around it. The fins opening, compress the tube, crushing it like an accordion lengthwise around the central core.

Also, I have recently been working on a deal to get a new set of snakeye fins for the same size bomb (M117A1 750 Lb.). I saw a set of the fins up close. They don't have any type of threaded insert to attach the Halo fuze. I'm guessing that it has been removed from inventory, and they are now using any of a number of the new electric tail fuzes. The "daiseycutter" standoff fuze extensions for the nose have been replaced by electric proximity fuzes, that connect electrically with the electric tail fuzes through the internal conduit in the bombs.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hazord, for interesting info on MAU tails. Does anyone know what MAU signifies, as I think TRU stood for Tail Retarding Unit? Advanced shock absorber-sounds like car safety steering column! Apparently the MAU-91A/B tail uses a honeycomb tube as shock-absorber, wonder what tube looks like? Also, am I correct that the TRU did not cause bomb-rotation, but the MAU does? Hazord, when the tail is not extended, do the inclined tabs that cause rotation become hidden, so as not to cause increased drag. Finally, the MAU fins move forward when extending, the opposite of the TRU. Is this to enable rotation to be applied nearer to the bomb-body, so leading to better stability? Anybody know why the change in extension direction? Perhaps the Halo fuze was not used on TRU tails, as there was no rotation, and therefore no fan distorting force?

Martin.

Last edited:
The fins that I have for the M117 750Lb. and Mk 83 bombs (with adaptor) do not move forward when opening. They are hinged at the rearmost point of an aluminum tube that runs back from the tail end of the bomb, where the Halo fuze spinner is shown.

Great research DJ! They were probably able to use them on Skyraiders due to the slower takeoff speed.

Here a still from the movie about the Skyraider.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Mk82 daisy cutter with snakeye tail.jpg
    Mk82 daisy cutter with snakeye tail.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 26
You have one too? Niceeee...
I am changing mine (cutaway model) into a posting for the future.

Regards, DJH

Yeah, I have one inert blue painted three-foot daisy cutter and a number of Mk 82's. Member Ordnance has a one foot long Daisy Cutter.

I want to produce some copies.

I wish I had a Denort rod for an SK250. I would set that up also.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk