What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 2 Pdrs - No.2, Mk I, AT - headstamps rounds & projectiles gallery

Darkman

More from the Ron Hardy collection.

Ron has kindly supplied the following information and photos of Australian 2 Pounders from his collection for those that are interested.

Here are some headstamps, rounds and projectiles for the No.2 Anti-Tank.

The photos at bottom correspond to the numbered descriptions below.

CASES/HEADSTAMPS:

In Australia the only maker of these is "MF" (Munitions Footscray, Melbourne) with dates noted (so far) only from 1941 & 1942. However the brass/wood drill round was converted by "MO", Maribrynong Ordnance Factory, Melbourne in 1942. There are 3 headstamps noted with CF or CR (Cordite Reduced) for practice use.

1. Headstamp: 2 PR No.2, I, MF, CF, 1941, 78

2. Headstamp: 2 PR No.2, I, MF, CR, 1941, 445

3. Headstamp: QF 2 PR, IX TO XA GUNS, MO, /l\
Drill round. Brass base and nose with steel rod through wooden body and lead weighted.
Has cancellation crosses making it a bit hard to read. Was a 1942 case reworked. Note sideways "R" of 2 PR.

COMPLETE ROUNDS & PROJECTILES:

4a & 4b. Group photos of 3 complete rounds
Proof, APT & Factory Sectioned HE (sorry no photo of the drill round - the wood is missing).

5a, 5b & 5c. Detail of stampings on proof projectile
Stamped: BHP, 26897, MO, P, 2PR II -T, MK XI/X GNS, BS, 4/42
("BHP" is Broken Hill Proprietry Ltd, Broken Hill, NSW)

Next week I will add threads on Australian made 40mm Bofors rounds and Bofors drill rounds.

Cheers,

Graeme Davenport

Attachments

• 1 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk 1 AT.jpg
    1 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk 1 AT.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk 1 AT.jpg
    2 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk 1 AT.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk I AT.jpg
    3 - 2 Pr No.2 Mk I AT.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 4a - 2 Pr AT Proof, APT, HE.JPG
    4a - 2 Pr AT Proof, APT, HE.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 4b - 2 Pr AT Proof, APT, HE.JPG
    4b - 2 Pr AT Proof, APT, HE.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 5a - 2 Pr AT Proof.JPG
    5a - 2 Pr AT Proof.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 5b - 2 Pr AT Proof.jpg
    5b - 2 Pr AT Proof.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 5c - 2 Pr AT Proof.JPG
    5c - 2 Pr AT Proof.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The fired 'proof' is a practice projectile. 'Shot, Practice, Flathead, Q.F. 2-PR., Mark IIT'.

This shot is generally similar to the Mark IT, but in lieu of an external tracer, has a cavity in the base containing tracer compostion.
The total weight of shot, including tracer compostion, is 2-lb. 2-oz. 10-dr.

Thanks Patrick

I will pass the correct information on to Ron.

Cheers,

Graeme

The fired 'proof' is a practice projectile. 'Shot, Practice, Flathead, Q.F. 2-PR., Mark IIT'.

This shot is generally similar to the Mark IT, but in lieu of an external tracer, has a cavity in the base containing tracer compostion.
The total weight of shot, including tracer compostion, is 2-lb. 2-oz. 10-dr.

Great post Graeme,thanks for taking the time to show the items. Would be great if I could get some copies of the pics to add to the growing 2 pdr archive if possible? Also of the Bofors 40mm ones you posted a while back. Pm me if you can help. Cheers Tig.