Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hoggs book British and American Artillery of World War 2 has on page 169 12 in railway how. a note that the ammunition is the same as the road how. on page 144, and 144 has a drawing of the shell and charges.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pounder View Post
    Hoggs book British and American Artillery of World War 2 has on page 169 12 in railway how. a note that the ammunition is the same as the road how. on page 144, and 144 has a drawing of the shell and charges.
    Thanks very much for this 2pdr, will try to look at the book in the library at the weekend,

David

Thanks
    Hallo 2pdr,

The local library has got the Hogg artillery in WW2 book in and as a bonus also the WW1 book as well, and have taken these out on loan, they are turning useful data to confirm some dodgy dimensions, so thanks for the pointer, will be painting the bands on shells this weekend,

David

Thanks
    Howdy CommanderChuff,

I am interested to know how the guaging system works as I had an "O"guage clockwork trainset as a child, but that had a guage of 25mm (1")? I was wondering where the 7mm came into it?

Nothing to do with ammo I know, but I progressed from trainsets to ammo!!! LOL

PS: You have a lot of patience, well done & welcome aboard.

Regards Ozzi.

Thanks
    Hallo Ozzi,

The sizing and gauging of model trains sets has settled down since your old clockwork trainset all those years ago. These are referred to a coarse scale, which means that the model and track has no consistent scale or is true to the prototype. Without being offensive, these are toy trains. When the modelling community moved into using engineering standards a new set of scales were adopted called fine scale.

Essentially, the ratio of the model to the original is expressed as mm per foot, the gauge of track as mm, and the scale as a convenient groups which double in size.

So for OO scale the ratio is 4mm, track is 16mm, and is the most popular toy trainset by Hornby. The O gauge covers covers 7mm / foot, track 32 mm, and Gauge 1 is double that (16mm and 64 mm)

The main difference between OO and O, apart from the size is that there is less mass produced trains in O, so that most modellers have to build kits or scratch build.

Hope that helps and thanks for the kind comments,

David

Thanks
    Update to Railway Arty Shells

Just thought that I would post some pics of the completed model, showing the shells which have been painted in the colours provided by the BOCN members. Thanks for all of your help and expert advice.RailArty-Warflat-spad MetroCammell.jpgMEMO0043.jpgMEMO0042.jpgMEMO0041.jpg

Thanks
    Hallo again,

The railway gun is completed. After a bit of rush to get those final details on it the gun and spade wagon were entered into the annual modeling competition in the O gauge Guild show at Telford in September. The quality of models is always high and such it was on this occasion with a great big yellow railway crane taking the honours of the first prize and glass trophy. My little tiddler came a close second and I took home the silver. But never the mind, the thing is done, and it does look good on my layout, so here are some photos of the gun and wagon.

Far from being disappointed with the competition thoughts have now turned to a 18 inch howitzer model, a real monster, and I have got the project file out and looked at the drawings. Fortunately I have a mass of info from the IWM, footage of a large scale model in Duxford and drawings from Firepower.

I hope the attention to detail has pleased the experts, the many rivets and brass fittings, the copper driving bands on the shells and the general colour scheme.

Thanks for all of your support and helpful advice, and here is looking forward to the next model, all the best in whatever you are doing, and Marry Christmas,

David.MEMO0073.jpgMEMO0074.jpgMEMO0076.jpgMEMO0081.jpgMEMO0082.jpgMEMO0086.jpgMEMO0088.jpgMEMO0091.jpg

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 649 Posts
    WOW that's amazing CommanderChuff, very impressive.
    Welcome to the forum, its a great place to be.
    Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    An 18" Howitzer still exists it is at Larkhill.

You can see it on Google Earth at 51.2053 -1.8156

It is on a proof mounting
    Last edited by glevum; 28th October 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12