Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

Need help ID'ing this shell

My father picked this shell up for me when i was a child. I believe he found it at a gun show. I'm curious what this shell was used in and any information I can find out about the projectile(s) i was ment to fire. Ideally i would like to make up a fake look alike projectile to place into the shell for display purposes. Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated. THe shell measures about 3" or 75 mm at the base. its roughly 6 3/4" tall. If anyone would like to to take more measurements i could do so. ~ Craig

Images
    Thanks
    Hi Craig,

Not my specialty, but it is a naval (N) shell case for an "Anti-Submarine" (A/S) spigot mortar device - probably from a "Hedgehog" or Limbo since it has the British "broad-arrow".

Made in 1954 by ECC (Edward Curran & Co manufacturer's Stamp)

Mk 10? (from the stenciling on the case side - not really clear -> "MK XCR" as in Mk 10 Cartridge???)

If you search BOCN with "anti submarine" there's a number of threads on these type of cases etc.

Other members will hopefully elaborate more for you.

Cheers
    Drew

FootNote:
    OK I got curious myself and did a little searching on BOCN....seems that the "A/S 12" is for the Limbo not Hedgehog.........but not conclusive:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...anti+submarine
    Last edited by Dronic69; 25th April 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    This would not have had a projectile. It was a propelling charge for a mortar.